Two Americans to move to Catalunya: some advice please
Posted: 01 July 2011 03:28 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2011-03-13

Greetings, all! What a fantastic forum!

I’ve read so many posts from Americans asking the same questions: how do we work/stay in Spain? Our case may be a little different.

My husband and I have owned property in Catalunya for over 5 years, and have been registered (empadronados) throughout that time. We have bank accounts and a mortgage in Catalunya and were married there two years ago and have a “libro de familia”. We’ve accounts with Fecsa, Telef?nica, Sorea, for all this time.

We plan to sell our home in the States and move permanently to Spain. My husband will be moving as a retiree. I will continue to work full-time 1) from home and 2) any other way I can. We speak fluent Spanish and conversational Catalan.

My question begins with the following: is it really better for me to try to start paper-work from the States or with the aid of a lawyer/gestor?a in Spain? I’ve gotten conflicting information from all sides, and this forum seems just like the place to be to help sort this out!

Thanks to all for reading!

PS: Doing the the 3-month thing is getting very expensive and OLD!  😖

Posted: 20 July 2011 12:14 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2011-03-13

Well, then, does anyone know a lawyer or gestor that could help me?

Posted: 20 July 2011 12:30 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2855
Joined  2007-10-19

take look at this link , many help look at The Expatriator post http://www.spainexpat.com/spain/forum/viewthread/10097/

Posted: 19 September 2011 03:07 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2011-01-10

Get as much of anything as you can when you’re over there.  It will definitely save you hassles and headaches in the long run.  Anything that you can get, that you might need to get, that you might not need to get but can get… get it.  You never know what will be asked for in Spain.  Trust me… 😊