NIE for student visa in Madrid
Posted: 16 August 2011 05:28 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2011-08-16

hello!

i am coming to madrid to study for a year. i’m from the united states and i’ve already received my student visa which is good for 180 days from the spanish consulate in new york city. i’ve been reading online about the NIE process, since it is apparently something i have to get within 30 days of my arrival. i am confused about a few things and was wondering if you guys could help me out.

1. which form do i fill out? http://www.mir.es/SGACAVT/modelos/extranjeria/ lists a bunch, and i would imagine it is ex-17 that i need to fill out for the student visa but there are other ones related to the NIE. so i was wondering if someone could help me out with that.

2. how do i pay the NIE fee? do i just go into a bank before going anywhere else and tell them that i need to pay the fee for the NIE application and they’ll know what i’m talking about? i ask this because it seems like i need to bring some sort of proof of payment to my NIE application.

3. once i have the receipt, the form filled out, my passport/a copy of the visa, and three passport sized photos, do i just need to bring all of this to an “oficina de extranjeros” ? http://www.mir.es/MIR/Directorio/Servicios_Perifericos/Cuerpo_Nacional_de_Policia/Oficinas_de_extranjeros/Madrid/ this website has a bunch of them listed and i assume i go to the one on calle san felipe.

thanks for the help! i’m pretty confused so i appreciate any advice.

Posted: 17 August 2011 08:50 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2011-08-17

Hi there,

First of all, let me assure you Madrid is a great city, and that all the red tape you will have to go through is worth it. I’ll answer yours hereunder:

1) the right form is EX-15. Prepare beforehand, come to the appointment 1 hour in advance and review it at the office desk.

2) you pay the NIE fee via a Post Office Fiscal Stamp - 10 ?.

3) No, you have to take an appointment calling at 00 34 902 565 701. You will also be able to ask any question at this number.

My advice would be to call for an appointment right now, since if you call now you will not get one until 4-5 months later. I called 2 weeks ago to check, and it was december. By the way, the NIE is not required to stay in Spain, just very useful.

For a summary of relevant updated information, go and have a look at my blog post on the NIE, an essential administrative step to take when moving to Madrid. 3 simple steps that will clarify the situation, and also tell you what do you need it for.

If you need anything else, just send me an e-mail at .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address).
All the best,
Pierre

‹‹ builder’s license in Spain      NIE vs TIE ››