builder’s license in Spain
Posted: 14 August 2011 10:14 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2011-08-14

Hi
My husband is a licensed builder in Australia. We are planning to move to Spain, he is Spanish. Does anyone know how and if he needs to apply for Spanish builder’s license in order to start a construction company in Spain. Thank you very much.

Posted: 26 August 2011 08:12 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  682
Joined  2007-11-01

The only thoughts I can give:

- Did he Qualify/take any professional exams in Spain originally? (are these still in date?) (If there are formal qualifications that he needs to trade and he did’t do these in Spain/they are out of date - he may need to apply to matriculate what he gained in Oz??)
- Check with a laywer/accountant here what legal requirements are required to hire yourself out as a builder (legally!)
- You will need to ask a laywer/do some research again regarding licence to trade.  (I know most buisnesses if they are SL or Single person will need liablility insurance, licence to operate, register with Hacidenda, pay Social security etc, etc)

- I guess he will also need a good lawyer/gestor/secretary to apply for any licences that he might be asked to get from placing a skip outside the job, to advising clients on right type of building licence they need for any work he carries out.  (I know communities are sometimes heavy on their comm regs - to the letter!)

PS - I have just been told today by an estate agent - that there is a moritorium on building licences in Andalucia/the Malaga region at present. No licences for ‘Obras Major’ are being granted (including getting your roof re-rooved!).. and only licences for ‘Obras Menor’ are being granted.  It seems the scandal of the illegal builds has caught up with iteself and there is a blanket ban on major works until it is all sorted (which as we all know could take years!) 
That is not to say that I haven’t seen works being carried out here there and everywhere, but it makes me wonder how many are going ahead illegally!

Good luck 😊

Posted: 26 August 2011 08:13 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  682
Joined  2007-11-01

PS - Is there a Spanish Federation of Builders that he could ask?

Posted: 26 August 2011 02:01 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2011-08-14

Thank you very much for your information. I will look into it. He qualified in Australia, never worked in Spain before. We are planning our move for 2013 so it gives us a bit more time to plan. Thanks once again.