Garmin Nuvi City Navigator EUROPE NT 2012
Posted: 13 June 2011 10:49 PM  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  63
Joined  2007-11-01

Currently I have installed on my Gavin Nuvi 250, City Navigator Europe NT 2009.10. I was contemplating an upgrade to the newest version and am seeking confirmation from someone who has already done so if the new motorway system around Malaga (A7 from junction A357 to MA20) is installed or not.

I had a look at the active maps on the Garmin site which shows what is covered in this new version but it appears that the new A7 around Malaga is not yet included. If this is not included I wonder what else has not been updated.

Confirmation would be greatly appreciated.

Posted: 14 June 2011 02:02 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-01

I have just had confirmation from the Garmin Nuvi discussion group that the new section of the A7 is not included in the latest update of Garmin maps. It would be nice to know why, as the motorway has been in construction for a few years. When I drove up the new section the other day my GPS unit went crazy as nothing has been mapped!

Posted: 14 June 2011 09:28 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2855
Joined  2007-10-19

it got to do with Health and Safety Authority not letting people on the motorway untill if fully finished and at that stage it open to the public , GPS company map the roads and then sell it ont to Garmin and so . Gps mapping companys are not aloud on the motorways while construction is ended , its insurance and open motorways befor the due date , this is big problem with new motor ways in last 5 years , (there not mapped , been told its a guy with pole and gps unit ontop walking the Motorway and can take some time ... (will try fround out more )

Posted: 14 June 2011 09:46 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-01

I can not agree with you on this. Considering that half this new stretch has been open for about 9 months it should have been included in the latest maps that Navteq produce. Are you saying that to produce the maps which shows nearly all main, secondary roads and even tracks in all countries that someone from Navteq has walked them all taking measurements. It would not be possible.

I have submitted an update request to Navteq to include the new section of the A7 in the next upgrade. I will let you know what they say and when it will be included.

Posted: 14 June 2011 10:18 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

I used to do GPS mapping back in Canada. The vehicle I was driving would determine which roads under construction would make it into that year’s maps. If I had a 4x4 then I’d do snow-covered dirt tracks outlined by only the surveyors’ lathing, if I was in the minivan then only clear pavement was mapped that year.  Indeed, the buyer was the local emergency services providers.

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 22 September 2011 04:16 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2011-09-22

Here is a snap of the latest maps, 2012.2, hope it helps.

Posted: 22 September 2011 04:32 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-01

Thanks for posting. Where did that map come from? Interesting.

Michael.

Posted: 22 September 2011 06:00 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2011-09-22

Hi Michael,
This is a snap from my pc, I have the garmin Mapsource program which puts the new maps onto the nuvi, so I zoomed in and took a pic for you, these are the latest maps at the moment.
Cheers,
Mark

Posted: 22 September 2011 06:33 PM   [ # 8 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-01

Thank you Mark for that confirmation.

Michael.