Crime in Nerja
Posted: 21 October 2011 12:43 AM  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2011-10-20

I was wondering what the crime rate was like in Nerja and what crimes to watch out for? There don’t appear to be any stats online but petty theft, handbag theft and house robberies seem to be mentioned alot.

Are there any particular areas that are better than others? We are moving there next month and although we have been on holiday there alot we are wondering where is a good area to settle. I will be by myself for a few days of the month when my Husband goes back to the UK on business and so I really want to feel safe where I am living.

I’m probably being paranoid about Nerja as I’m sure its fine but after an incident that happened to me a few years ago I just like to make sure that I live in a nice safe area!

Posted: 24 October 2011 06:21 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  738
Joined  2008-06-23

Nerja crime is similar to all the Costa areas around Spain, tourist and expats tend to bring money and an attitude that Spain is safe, the Spanish culture is family orientated etc etc etc, so they tend to leave themselves vulnerable.

My advice if work and language isn’t an issue is too stay away from the Expat costa regions, try the North of Spain, the crimes tend to be less aimed at foreigners as there arn’t as many and its generally a much more pleasant place to live in general and far more suited to Northern Europeans in regards to services, think more Sweden as opposed to the South/South East of Spain which is oftern compared to Mexico.

Signature 

“I am only a child playing on the beach, while vast oceans of truth lie undiscovered before me.”