Owning a Caravan in Spain
Posted: 11 August 2011 07:35 PM  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  682
Joined  2007-11-01

Are there any caravan owners out there? Who might be familiar with the law in Spain?

Basically, we are looking at buying a second hand carvan that we think has been towed down from the UK and which we only intend to use on our driveway as a spare bedroom.  The alarm bells rang slightly when the vendor said that, ‘It has no papers.’  I am assuming that if it was to be a roadworthy caravan that it might need some kind of Spanish paperwork, possibly its own ITV?  (I am slightly aware that if you have a tow bar on a private car here it is strictly regulated, as are trailers?)

Please could anyone advise.

Thanks.

Posted: 14 August 2011 10:24 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  682
Joined  2007-11-01

Have found out a little more - basically a UK caravan can only be towed on a UK reg car.
(I.e Under no circumstances can it be towed (legally) by a Spanish vehicle.)

Hope this helps others 😊

I am sure there are other regulations if we are looking at a Spanish caravan (I think they may have to have an ITV.  Is this the case for small trailers?  I know the ITV/safety regs here are more stringent than the UK in some ways.)

Posted: 02 November 2011 12:04 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2011-11-01

Hi Susanspain,

As far as I know (In Mallorca anyway) a trailer that has a weight capacity of up to 750kg does not need an ITV and most car insurance policies cover them. Anything over 750kg must have its own registration papers, insurance and ITV, the same as a car. I have an English boat trailer and because it was English I had to have an individual homogenisation made for it. This included engineer?s drawings, registration in Madrid, a pre test and an ITV, plus a temporary number, until all of this was done. About ?1300 later, all is ok and legal.

I beleive that caravans need registration papers and an ITV.

This is only my personal findings, maybe there is someone else who can confirm this.

Peter