Residence Visa Exempt from Work Permit
Posted: 07 June 2011 07:48 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2011-06-07

My husband was granted a fellowship from the Spanish government to perform research there for a year.  We’re supposed to be there August 1, 2011.  We applied for his residence visa exempt from work permit (and my spousal visa) a little over a month ago, and have no idea when it will come through.  We have called the consulate in Houston a couple of times, and they have assured us that our application is complete and that we do not need to turn in any additional documents, but they are never able to say how much longer it will take.  The process is completely opaque, and it’s nerve wracking not knowing where we are in the process and how much longer it will take.

The problems: (1) we need to be there August 1st, because that’s when the fellowship begins; (2) our housing lease ends July 31st; and (3) we are taking our dogs, so it’s imperative we book our plane tickets early.

The questions: (1) how long does it typically take for this particular type of visa; and (2) has anyone been successful in expediting the process?

Thanks for any advice or insight you can give!

Posted: 07 June 2011 08:29 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  40
Joined  2011-06-01

Hi nyssa1231,

Welcome to spainexpat :D

I understood you had applied for a non-lucrative residence, is it?

Signature 

Posted: 07 June 2011 10:50 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2011-06-07

No, we applied for a residence visa exempt from obligation of requesting a work permit, which is different from a non-lucrative visa.  It’s for professors, scientists, etc.

Posted: 08 June 2011 03:18 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  38
Joined  2010-10-28

The best people to help you would be the university where you are going to, I’m sure they will make all the necessary phone calls needed to help the paperwork along. Just try them before getting any more stressed up.

Posted: 21 December 2011 04:22 AM   [ # 4 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2011-12-21

Hi,
I hope you have already made it to Spain by now! I’m also applying for this visa exempt of work permit as I have a research position in a University. My question to you is how long did this process finally take? I would like to apply from the US where I work now, but I’m not a US citizen. Sadly my US H1b work visa will expire at the end of Feb at which point I must exit the US immediately. Having an idea how long the above visa took to materialize in your case will help me a lot! Thanks for your time.
cheers
j