Spouse and Child of Student - Which visa?
Posted: 12 December 2010 08:41 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2010-12-12

Hi,

My husband is getting his MBA in Spain and will be applying for a student visa.

However what about his spouse and child? Can a spouse and child come to Spain as family of a student?  What type of visa do we apply for? 

Thank you very much.

Posted: 12 December 2010 03:32 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  453
Joined  2008-12-30
shift4 - 12 December 2010 08:41 AM

Hi,

My husband is getting his MBA in Spain and will be applying for a student visa.

However what about his spouse and child? Can a spouse and child come to Spain as family of a student?  What type of visa do we apply for? 

your husband must apply for a student visa for you and your child at spanish embassy although you do not need to submit a letter of acceptance from a school and when all of you arrive here, you must apply for a student cards to replace the student vidsa.

Posted: 13 December 2010 07:21 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2010-12-12

Interesting we would also qualify under his “student” status.

If it’s ok I have another question I can’t seem to find the answer for.  What if I keep my job in the US and work remotely via the web.  Do you know if that’s an issue or if I should even bring it up or not?

Thank you

Posted: 25 February 2011 10:54 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2011-02-25
shift4 - 13 December 2010 07:21 AM

Interesting we would also qualify under his “student” status.

If it’s ok I have another question I can’t seem to find the answer for.  What if I keep my job in the US and work remotely via the web.  Do you know if that’s an issue or if I should even bring it up or not?

Thank you

Hello,
I would like to ask how this turned out?  Did you apply for a student visa although you were not in school, and your husband was?  My husband will be studying in Spain for two semesters (we will be applying for a 180+ visa) and I am wondering which visa I should apply for.  Please let me know which visa you applied for, and any other tips!
Thank you!

Posted: 26 February 2011 06:04 AM   [ # 4 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2010-12-12

Actually I am just getting ready to start the process.  There’s so much on the spain embassy site they don’t answer and of course you can’t call them or get anyone to respond to your emails.

So I am looking at the directions and requirements for the spouse and family of the work visa to get an idea of what to bring…

If you hear anything please share…

Posted: 07 April 2011 06:27 AM   [ # 5 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2011-04-07

I am in a similar situation, but more complicated.

I’m a Canadian citizen who will be going to Spain on a student visa for one year, possibly longer (it’s actually to assist teaching English, but it goes through a student visa anyway). I have a Bosnian partner, and for the past few years we’ve both lived in Bosnia (i.e. non-EU). We’re not married as there is no such thing as same-sex marriage in these countries. So, what I’m wondering is - is there any way for my partner to join me in Spain and for us to get married there? Obviously, since we’re not already legally married it can’t be the same procedure as for those who are, but perhaps there is a way to do this? We’ve lived together in Bosnia for a few years now, we’ve even had our private ceremony to celebrate our bond, it just can’t be legal here in Bosnia. Any information/links to information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Posted: 18 August 2011 07:35 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2010-12-12

I am now in Barcelona.  The whole family got in on the student visa.  Be sure to follow every single instruction on your document as well as meet all income qualifications.  Also to note the school is a reputable graduate school.  Not sure if you can go take a photography class and get the same result.

Posted: 16 January 2012 02:56 AM   [ # 7 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2012-01-16

hello shift4,
thank you for posting this info. we are in a similar situation (husband getting MBA in BCN) and would LOVE if you could answer a couple questions. Did every family member, including the kids, have to be present at the San Francisco consulate? We live in Seattle so that would mean we’d all have to fly down there. Did I read it correctly that EACH family member needs his/her OWN separate appointment and separate applications? Do the marriage certificate and birth certificates need to be translated Spanish or just have the Apostile of Hague thing (still figuring out what that means)? Also, I assume the FBI background check with fingerprinting is only for the adults? One more question, our situation might be a little different in that we have a child that is 2, but we also have a baby on the way that will be born about 2 months before we’d like to leave for Spain. Do we need to wait to start the visa process until AFTER our second child is born? And if so, do you think 2 months before we leave is enough time to complete the process? You said to be sure to meet the income requirements, what exactly are those when you have a family?

I know, lots of questions. Thanks so much for ANY answers you can provide!