NIE only valid for 3 months? (non-resident)
Posted: 18 January 2012 06:40 PM  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  682
Joined  2007-11-01

Hi, My OH is about to become a resident as they have decided to move here full time.
They applied for an NIE on a visit here back in 2003, but have never lived here full time before.

They have just been offered a job (part time), and the assesores/gestores that are doing the contract, said their NIE is ‘Out of date’ and it has to be renewed.

I understood that an NIE was for life??? 
OK, it has the address they were renting for a few weeks back in 2003 and that is out of date (their’s had an address on, oddly mine does not??? But perhaps that is because I applied for mine same time as residencia?) 

Does anyone know the rules and requirements?

Ta ....

Posted: 18 January 2012 09:22 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  744
Joined  2009-01-22

There was some talk of now the forms are computerised the old hand written ones (which used to be issued) are not acceptable thus you might have to renew it but you will still have the same number. Sounds like they may be on a job (and fee) creation scheme, go with the flow, this is Spain.

Signature 

Rob
http://spainreexposed.wordpress.com/

Posted: 18 January 2012 11:08 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  38
Joined  2010-10-28

It is invalid as you need to place in their new address. So off tothe town hall to ger registered, then 3 Months later they can get their historical certificare of empadrionamiento to then apply for a NIE number or residency permit.

Posted: 18 January 2012 11:26 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-01

Que LRW?
This sounds rather complex, and the first I have ever heard of this!

Just to clarify - as it now seems this ‘advice’ came from a work colleague???? that an NIE (for non-residents?>>> they didn’t specify) is invalid after 5yrs and has to be renewed every 5yrs????

All of this is new to me - think I will go and ask our friendly helper at the Fuengi Police staion pronto!

😊

Posted: 19 January 2012 01:24 AM   [ # 4 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-01

Very confused now!!!

Posted: 19 January 2012 05:41 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-10-28

You need your current address to be shown on the NIE paper, so the old one paper is therfore invalid, not the number. Nie is for ever but do not confuse an NIE number with a residents ( residencia) certificate. These have their validity date shown on them. The residencia will use your NIE number but shows residency as well.

Posted: 19 January 2012 07:00 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-01

Sorry to be pedantic LRW, my NIE (paper, typed version) was issued in 2003 and does not show my residential address.
Therefore, is it still valid no matter where I live (or am I required to ‘update it’ to reflect my current address?)

(I am already booked in at Fuengirola Police Station to update addres on my residency certificate at end of month, but would like to know if I need any extra forms for above.  Will pop in soon and post here what the answer is 😉

Posted: 20 January 2012 04:35 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-10-28

You just need your certificate de empadrionamiento ( historical)and take your passport. A small fee will be charged

Posted: 20 January 2012 11:35 PM   [ # 8 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-01

Have just come from police station (this am)... The police official on the desk assured me that whilst the ‘document’ itself (the original bit of paper which has your NIE on), is only valid for 3 months, this does not mean it is out of date or needs renewing at any time.
Basically, as I thought, an NIE is your unique number for life (I guess like a NI no in the UK).  When I asked if I needed to pay/fill in any forms to have it ‘updated’ (as we were already coming in for new residencia and update of add on an exisitng residencia cert), he said ‘NO.’ 
I think I will go along with this advice, as he is the one working there.

I am sure if the police wanted to be ‘very official’ about it all they could demand an uptodate one, but as another thread says somewhere, depends who you get on what day etc…
But most will accept the ‘regular’ documentation as long as they are in date etc.

Not sure this thread is conclusive as yet, but as long as I have no worries when I go to the Police station to do above two applications, then I am sure we will continue to get by.

Posted: 25 February 2012 11:51 PM   [ # 9 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-01

Post visit for app to register OH as resident/myself change of add on existing green residency cert…

1)  OH - Their NIE has always been valid (contrary to what the work gestor said) - but yes, the address is out of date. (But they would not change it, as they said by informing them of registering as resident, this was automatically the first place that is checked if they ever want to find you 😉 

2) My change of address. I got the new ‘credit card sized bit of paper’ as a new residency cert. But I must ‘not laminate it!’  (Although it has a light plastic covering on one side already.) 

If one were to revoke one’s residency at anytime, they keep all your papers/details on file for 5 yrs.  NIE is for life as we thought.

Hope this helps anyone in a similar situation!