Tax on exporting car back to UK?
Posted: 19 January 2012 06:12 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2010-09-22

Hi,

Last year I managed to register my UK car in Spain.

My family recently took the car back to the UK and have re-registered in the UK (as I no longer need it here)

I have the paperwork to notify the Catalan authorities that I have exported the car but I am concerned that they may try and charge me for the export.

Does anyone know if I am at risk of getting hit with some crazy export tax?

Thanks,

Posted: 19 January 2012 11:05 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  48
Joined  2010-11-08
jonwolds - 19 January 2012 06:12 PM

Hi,

Last year I managed to register my UK car in Spain.

My family recently took the car back to the UK and have re-registered in the UK (as I no longer need it here)

I have the paperwork to notify the Catalan authorities that I have exported the car but I am concerned that they may try and charge me for the export.

Does anyone know if I am at risk of getting hit with some crazy export tax?

Thanks,

If the car has already been registered in the UK previously then no further duty/tax can be applied when re-registering.
If you are still in doubt then simply contact DVLA via their website and they will put you right.

Edit: Oops, just re-read your post, you were referring to Spanish regulations - can’t see any reason for taxing when returning to country of origin.

Posted: 20 January 2012 12:05 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2010-09-22

Thanks for your response.

I can see no reason why I would be charged either but my last year in Spain has taught me never to apply logic when dealing with Spanish bureaucracy.

😊