Changing name on NIE certificate
Posted: 20 January 2012 03:33 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2012-01-20

Hi,
My first post 😊  I am totally frustrated and in need of some help. I have a NIE number - but I have just re-married so therefore have changed my name (as we English foolishly do!).  I have changed, my passport, my English drivers licence , my bank accounts here and in UK, I am in the process of buying a property with New Hubby, so have been told to change my NIE into my new name.
On the first visit to the police station they asked me to obtain a ‘legalised copy of my marriage certificate’ - which I have done, (took over a week to reach the UK despite being sent ‘urgente’ - but that’s another story). 
So I duly took along on my second visit:  1.  original and copies of said marriage certificate - 2. original and copies of new passport. 3. original and copies of old passport (just to be sure)  and of course my Original NIE certificate. 9and copies of anything else I could find: old marriage certificate, birth certificate etc (well I thought you never know what they will ask for!!!).

But even being armed with all this I was basically thrown out because I was told on this occasion that I need the new marriage certificate translated!! 

Does anyone know if this is still the ‘law as we are in the EU and I KNOW that friends have gone to get NIE numbers and haven’t had to have birth certificates etc translated.

Or are they just being extremely difficult!!  ( as always)  Bear in mind if I went in without a NIE number I could obtain one on my passport alone. 
Considering I am only trying to pay tax on my property purchase it seems ridiculous. 

any help would be appreciated.
Eileen

Posted: 20 January 2012 06:36 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  744
Joined  2009-01-22

They are entitled to ask for translations -

“Translation of documents/Traducci?n jurada

All British birth/death/marriage/divorce certificates /Home Office certificates may need to be translated.  If this is the case, the translation needs to be an official, or sworn, translation.

We advise you to contact a sworn translator (traductor jurado) who is registered with the Spanish Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Ministerio de Asuntos Exteriores y Cooperaci?n). There is a list of translators on the Ministry?s website.”

from here
http://ukinspain.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for-british-nationals/living-in-spain/births-deaths-marriages/marriage/legalisation-translation

I would get this sorted out now before it catches you out later.

Signature 

Rob
http://spainreexposed.wordpress.com/

Posted: 20 January 2012 06:55 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2012-01-20

Thank you for the reply,
I have - of course - already started this procedure today, I have found an office here in Ibiza and will be going there later today with said document. I have found that same wording on the internet which you have kindly sent to me,  my question was:  Is this still legal now we are EU members?  I would really like to know this - even though I know the easiest way is to ‘conform’, do whatever ‘they’ ask, then get on with life 😊  After all we live in a beautiful place and this only happens infrequently!!!

I do have all my previous certificates (birth, marriage etc)  all translated from the past as of course bureaucracy used to be almost impossible!!!!

Eileen

Posted: 21 January 2012 01:51 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  744
Joined  2009-01-22

I can tell you with certainty (my wife is Spanish) that the only contract worth the paper it is written on has to be in Spanish - they are the only documents acceptable to any Spanish court - I appreciate we are not talking about contracts but my gist is - if a Spanish official has to do a job he can ask for the papers to be in Spanish, the official language of the land.

Would be nice to hear from other women who have been through a name change how they coped with this issue.

Signature 

Rob
http://spainreexposed.wordpress.com/

‹‹ Speeding Fine Question      marriage ››