EU Citizen Moving to Spain paperwork…..??
Posted: 25 January 2012 04:54 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2012-01-25

So I am moving to Madrid in less than two weeks, and have been reading about the paperwork I need to complete as an EU citizen who plans to stay.

The certificado de empadronimiento, the NIE and the certificado de registro de cuidadano UE. I need to get this last paper particularly ASAP, does anyone have any recent experience of this process?

I have seen some info on the web but some aspects are confusing, and I tried phoning some oficina de extranjeros, but they either dont answer, or tell me all answers are on the internet.

Does anyone know the process? Where I go? What documents I need? Do I have to have an appointment at all officinas in Madrid, or can I just turn up in the morning for some?

Any help, would be much appreciated.

Thanks
John

Posted: 25 January 2012 07:33 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  265
Joined  2011-09-10

John:
I would suggest you consult the Spanish Consulate in your own country (U.K.?) and ask them for the correct information.  Otherwise, it would probably be best for you to have a “gestor?a” in Madrid deal with these matters for you.  It will save you time and trouble.  Well worth it in my view.
Here is a link for a long-established gestoria in Madrid (I used them once a very long time ago in connection with another matter).
They are Gestor?a Pons

https://www.gestoriapons.com/esp/index.asp
Customer Service email:

.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Good luck with everything
Campana

Posted: 26 January 2012 10:57 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  56
Joined  2011-07-28

In Madrid, everything needs an appointment when it comes to government services. Check the Ayuntamiento Madrid site for the empadronimiento and the contact numbers to arrange for the appointment. They also have details of the documents you need - EU Passport (if you have one), NIE, etc.

The certificado de registro de cuidadano UE - I don?t understand why you need this if you are an EU Citizen? Do you have an EU Passport? If you?re not an EU Citizen, but an EU Resident due to marriage with an EU Citizen or family links, that?s a different story, and you?ll need to check with the Spanish Consulate in your country on what you need. Actually this would be important to get your NIE, I would presume!

For example, I?m a non EU with residency through my Spanish husband, but I still need a visa (a spouse visa) to stay in the UK. If you are a UK resident but non-EU/UK, then you should double check if you need a visa. If you?re a EU resident, non-UK, then of course you should be able to enter Madrid no worries. I would presume you would have some document proving that you are a resident of EU and maybe they?ll accept that? You should check with the consulate.

Of course if you have a Spanish friend or you speak Spanish, it would help, because they absolutely DO NOT SPEAK ENGLISH in the foreign registry offices. So the spanish speaker can help a lot to get you the appointments, etc. If you don?t have any spanish support, perhaps getting a gestora like Campana mentioned will be a really good idea (saves you a lot of time, sweat and tears… hhaha as we all know the bureaucracy here is a nightmare).

Good luck!! 😊

Posted: 29 January 2012 06:55 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2012-01-25

Thank you for your help guys, I will have a look at the Gestoria, and some of the other things you suggested. All EU citizens have to apply for the certificado de cuidadano UE if they plan to live in Spain, but normally I would nt be in such a rush, its just my wife is non EU and we need that certificate to apply for her reagrupacion familiar visa. So she has to stay in Colombia until I can get her that paper and she can apply for the visa.

If all Madrid offices require an appointment, maybe I will go to another city that doesnt. Does anyone know,does Valencia require an appointment, or can I get these papers quicker there? I know I have to live in the municipality I apply in, but I am not set on living in Madrid, I would rather because it appears there are more jobs but I can try another city if I have to.

Thanks again for your help.

Posted: 31 January 2012 12:13 AM   [ # 4 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  56
Joined  2011-07-28

ahh I get it now, sorry I didn?t know about your wife part, because for yourself, who is the actual EU citizen, that should be straight forward. Your wife will be a permanent resident, not a citizen. She?ll need to renew her NIE after 5 years initially, then I think after that is another 5 years or a bit more..

There?s some info here:
http://www.parainmigrantes.info/certificado-de-registro-de-ciudadano-de-la-u-e/

but for quick service, you should get a lawyer but I wouldn?t bank on it being much quicker. After my marriage, it took 3 months before I could even hand in my papers for the change of my NIE (I was on student one before), and then another 2 months to finally get my new NIE. That was in a pueblo near Le?n, not Madrid.

Good luck!!

‹‹ baby born in Barcelona      help nie madrid ››