Brand new to Barcelona - trying to learn Spanish/Catalan
Posted: 07 January 2012 10:05 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2012-01-07

Hello fellow-expats!

My name is Kathy and I just moved here from northern Virginia/Florida. I feel like I need to explain that, lol. I lived and went to school in Florida for eight years but was at my mom’s house in VA for 3 months before I came here ;)

Anyways my friend Dave has been living in Sant Cugat since October and when a room became available I jumped at the chance to come. I’ve taken some Spanish but have never had to use it in “real life.” I’m trying to learn quickly so that I can hopefully get a job teaching English, or at the very least tutoring privately or at a language academy. I have a degree in English literature and a Celta certification which I am told will work to my advantage.

I want to meet some people to practice Spanish with and possibly go exploring? If you’re new to the area too, or just wanna take in a stranger, drop me a line! It iwill be greatly appreciated since I don’t really know anyone here.

Cheers and good luck!
Kathy

Posted: 13 February 2012 05:00 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2011-07-20

Hi Kathy!

We will be moving to Barcelona this summer from Indiana.

Have you had any success with jobs?

Wishing you well!

Posted: 13 February 2012 12:09 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2012-02-13

I want to learn Spanish language

Posted: 13 February 2012 01:27 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2012-01-07

I have not had any success with jobs and am actually leaving early. It has been a pretty rough year thus far and I just don’t see it improving in the next 2 months. I would urge you to read up on the crisis here in Spain before finalizing your travel plans, also check loquo and tusclasesparticulares to see what the going rates are for teachers. My roommate has been able to work but he speaks very good Spanish which is a huge asset to gaining clients. I’m just saying there is a lot of competition here among English teachers.

Best of luck!
Kathy

‹‹ Hi Friends!!      Future Expat Hopeful ››