Costa del SPAIN cons and scams READ AND LEARN
Posted: 25 July 2011 11:59 PM  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2855
Joined  2007-10-19

tHIS IS JUST SO YOU KNOW WHAT TO LOOK OUT FOR IN CONS AND SCAMS IN SPAIN

James Bryce looks at the huge proliferation of cons and scams at work on the Costa del Sol this summer

TO paraphrase Douglas Adams in The Hitchhiker?s Guide to the Galaxy, ?if it looks like a scam, and sounds like a scam, it probably is a scam. But despite this, thousands of consumers in southern Spain continue to be duped into parting with their hard-earned cash by devious fraudsters using increasingly elaborate schemes to do it. It comes as no surprise that one such international ?lottery scam? ? indeed the biggest of its kind ever to be busted ? was based in Malaga.

Linked to the Nigerian mafia, the group of 53 fraudsters, is accused of sending millions of spam emails ? and official letters ? to random accounts around the world, claiming the recipients had won the Spanish lottery. Victims, who numbered thousands around the world, each paid an administrative fee in order to claim their ?winnings. In total it is estimated the conmen sent up to 25,000 emails and letters a day and approximately one in 500 people acted on them. In total they are estimated to have made up to 250million euros. Unsurprisingly this method of making money has proliferated greatly over the last few years. The so-called mass marketing scams typically begin with the sending of emails, texts and letters in a bid to entice their victims into handing over bank details and other personal data. And judging by the figures, it seems to be an effective ruse. Authorities estimate that around 40,000 fraudulent letters leave Spain each day en route to victims around the world.  This is despite Spanish police arresting more than 400 people and identifying more than 400 bank accounts used in fraudulent lottery schemes over recent years.

The UK?s National Fraud Authority recently reported that British consumers lost an eye-watering 3.9 billion euros last year to mass marketing scams.

Citizens Advice ? a charity set up to offer guidance to those with legal and financial problems ? estimates a massive 840 million unsolicited phone calls were made in 2009 by firms offering to manage debt.

The equivalent of 38 for every UK home. Meanwhile, an estimated 111 million unwanted emails and text messages are sent every day, according to comparison website uSwitch. It is exactly the same in Spain. Indeed, a straw poll conducted in the Olive Press office to find out how many junk emails are received each week revealed a figure in the hundreds. Phishing Many of these emails are aimed at stealing your personal and financial information, a scam commonly known as ?phishing?. Cyber fraudsters are increasingly looking to exploit the economic downturn by offering anything from flats to festival tickets online in exchange for upfront fees.

Boiler room share scams

Another tried-and-tested scam that is particularly popular with Spanish-based fraudsters targeting British customers are the so-called ?boiler room scams?. In total, hundreds of thousands of euros are being syphoned off from clients each month and put into a variety of nefarious schemes. The profits and kickbacks to the conmen are large and it is unsurprising that, when approached, they don?t normally like to talk. ?I was amazed at how much money was passing through during my time with the deck in Alhaurin,? explained one source who worked with Wright for a number of months. ?In the end I felt my moral conscience could no longer work knowing that people ? many of them pensioners ? were losing their nest eggs to sleaze.? Carbon Credit schemes

One of the latest scams involves schemes to buy so-called carbon credits.

These essentially use the same tactics as boiler room scams, but selling a different product.In one case, an elderly woman agreed to purchase 4,000 euros worth of carbon credits after being contacted by a firm called CarbonTrace Solutions.After attempting to back out of the deal, the woman was threatened with litigation by the company.The Financial Services Authority (FSA) has had some recent success in tackling the problem. Last month the organisation secured its first criminal conviction for boiler room fraud when David Mason was jailed for two years for a bogus share scheme. But as potential victims become increasingly wary of the risks posed by boiler rooms ? much in part due to the publicity they receive in the media ? so the fraudsters are changing their tactics. New techniques being used by boiler rooms include cloning details from the FSA register in a bid to appear legitimate. In several cases, existing reference number?s of legitimate firms listed on the register have been used as well as the actual name?s of legitimate companies.

Recovery schemes
Other boiler room scams becoming increasingly popular include ?recovery schemes? in which the fraudsters target those who have already fallen victim to boiler rooms, claiming they can recover their money. Insisting they pay a small upfront fee of between 250 and 600 euros they will then go about getting their money back Of course it never happens.

MORE ON http://www.theolivepress.es/spain-ne…-scams-conmen/

Posted: 31 July 2011 10:56 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  682
Joined  2007-11-01

Judry.. Can you comment/do you have any factual info about these PPI recovery schemes/companies?
I went to work (very temporarily!) for one such company on the coast and people were asked to pay upfront to recover their money. (I was particularly shocked that they all told clients to charge the fee for the service to the Credit card that was already over loaded and in dispute for the claim!!!!)

Since the UK Govt ruling, banks are now having to reimburse these monies, without question.
I have learned that it is very easy to do this directly, thus avoiding the need for a third party.  (If anyone needs anymore info go to Moneysavingexpert.com website. It is very good!)

But these people (one such one is based in La Cala de Mijas, Malaga), are still advertising heavily to ‘Reclaim what is owed to you.’ and they charge a hefty fee for same. 
I guess it comes down to ‘Buyer beware’ and now that the test cases have been won and the banks are not arguing any legitimate claim, and anyone who goes through a third party is paying for a service to recover the money, rather than have the work of doing it for yourself.

I am sure once all the claims are settled this/other similar companies will find something else to get people to pay up front for. :(

Posted: 01 August 2011 04:23 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2855
Joined  2007-10-19

PPI recovery schemes/companies never had to deal with them but , if go to the The Financial Services Authority (FSA) website you see more and how to clam you money back . http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Library/Communication/PR/2011/049.shtml

Posted: 24 February 2012 04:41 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2012-02-24

Does anybody know the whereabouts of a character called CARMELO VARAS DIAZ if so I would be very interested to hear from them.
Thanks Cecil

Posted: 24 February 2012 05:52 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-01

Hi Davey, can you enlighten us a bit more?

I just did a quick google search and there are several recent entries on ‘ScamDex.’
I am guessing you are referring to the incident where said person is pretending to rent a property from an owner, but somehow getting them to say they sold it to him (for a very small amount!) and he then stands up in court and claims the right to sell (at a much greater price/and that he is the rightful owner?)

It does not say what part of Spain this happened in.
Can you let us know so others can be warned!!!

Posted: 25 February 2012 07:27 AM   [ # 5 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2012-02-24

Hi Sue. Thank you for your speedy response. Your reference is correct.This Character Carmelo Varas Diez is now residing in Bilbao. He had an estate agency on the Costa Blanca but I understand there are quite a few victims all over Spain who he has targeted. I understand that there are several civil & criminal cases outstanding for him. I can’t go into too much detail as he could read this forum and turn any accusations into a slander court case until he is found guilty. One of his victims is Cecil Fridjohn - email address (.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)) and we are another of his victims. We are eager to find more victims and hear their stories.
I hope that little bit of info is useful. Thank you for your concern.

Posted: 25 February 2012 05:14 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-01

No worries Davey. I am all for warning of others of CRIMINALS!  As for slander, I know that one is officially not supposed to name the person with their full name (up to you what you do in private messages I think, but in the first instance in a public place you can only use the persons initials and say which town they live in (again, you are not supposed to put the street).

I ‘think’ however, that if you have proof of your complaint (denuncia, other people being robbed, court case docuements/evidence etc), then there is nothing to stop an indivudula having a Blog page - and naming the person in full there - as the information is in the public domain.  You can then write on forums such as this and guide people to that page where they can read the full name/details etc.

The reason I know all of this…. is sadly I have had a bad experience with one or two lawyers since arriving here. (12yrs and going on here, and still shocked even lawyers can get away with detrimental service.)

Good luck in your endeavours.  I just wish you did not have to post in the first place.  (Is anything going to stick on this guy?  Have the police flagged it as a serious matter? I.e is the National Crime Squad involved etc?) 

Take care——and hope the person mentioned gets their bad Karma thrown back at them!  (Doesn’t get your money back necessarily, but maybe some ‘justice?’)