power of attorney
Posted: 23 February 2012 09:40 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2012-02-22

Hello
I have a house in Spain, I want to remove the person that has power of attorneyy from my house, I called the place I did it but no one speaks English, I wrote but no replies, I live in Norway. Its my ex wife, she already was my ex wife when I did it, but I want to remove her now.
Thanks

Posted: 23 February 2012 11:13 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  265
Joined  2011-09-10

Orandaberg:

Could you just clarify.  Do you wish to evict your ex-wife from the house, or, which I think is what you mean, do you wish to revoke the power-of-attorney you may have given her at some time in the past.
If you wish to revoke the power of attorne you need to visit the notary’s office (presumably in Spain?) where you signed the power of attorney, and explain that you wish to “revocar el poder”.  I am assuming you have copy of the document? 
If you have the document in your possession and if you are not now in Spain but in Norway you could contact the Spanish Consulate and consult them on the matter.

In any case, you could also contact the lawyer in Spain who assisted you when purchasing your house in Spain, as s/he could assist you in this matter.

Regards,
Patricia

Posted: 24 February 2012 06:07 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2012-02-22

Hello
Thanks for the quick reply, so looks like I need to go to the office, since they do not reply emails, and no one speaks English on the phone. it was the same place who helped me with the purchase.
Thanks

Posted: 24 February 2012 06:43 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  265
Joined  2011-09-10

Orandaberg:

At the top of the power-of-attorney you will see the name of the Notary Public in whose presence you signed the document.  You could go directly to that Notary’s office and revoke the power-of-attorney.  You could contact them in advance, give them the number, and date, at the top of the power-of-attorney and explain that you wish to revoke.

Patricia

Posted: 25 February 2012 11:41 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  682
Joined  2007-11-01

You may be able to do this in Norway (if you don’t want to come over).  A POA can be granted abroad at a Spanish Consulate, so I don’t see why it can’t be revoked either.

Get it sorted asap! (I had a friend who had given POA for EVERYTHING to her life time partner/husband - who then ran away and married someone else. She had to revoke it to protect her assets!)

Sounds like you need a good lawyer here (and not the ones who sold you the property?)

Good luck.

Posted: 26 February 2012 04:47 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2012-02-22

Thanks I will