prescrition charges
Posted: 03 March 2012 07:52 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2011-11-02

Hi

I am hoping to move to spain with my family in the next year or so, i take a regular prescription for levothyroxine (and have to take it for the rest of my life) so could anyone help me please?  i am told that if you work and pay into the spanish tax system you can get a 40% discount on prescription charges, is this true? also how much are they normally anyway and if i werent paying into the spanish tax system how much are prescriptions normally?

hope someone can help!
thanks
sarah

Posted: 03 March 2012 09:11 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  138
Joined  2006-11-28

There is no actual prescription charge as such like you have in the UK. You pay for the cost of the drugs at the pharmacy. This could be anything from a few cents to several tens of euros. For example, if you buy tramadol over the counter it will cost you just under 7 euros but if you pay in to the system and have it prescribed by a “national health service” doctor you will get a 40% discount. Similarly, a pain killer such as Lyrica will cost you just under 60 euros with a private prescription but you would get 40% off this if you are in the system.

Posted: 03 March 2012 09:39 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  682
Joined  2007-11-01

Si, Si ^ SM is correct. Sometimes I would just pay a few cents on some pills. My migraine medicine for 6 tabs is Eu44 over the counter and I used to pay Eu18 with the SS discount.
At least here you can generally get prescription drugs over the counter even if you have no prescription. (You just have to pay full price.)

NB SS here is Eu250pcm for self-employed, employed person employer pays 1/2, whilst pensioner free etc….

Posted: 03 March 2012 09:43 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2011-11-02

thank you both thats very useful, i wasnt aware of that!

does anyone out there know how much Levothyroxine costs over the counter at the chemist? i have to take 200mcg per day and you get 28 tablet packs of 100mcgs in this country.

thanks in advance
sarah