bank and savings
Posted: 14 April 2012 01:51 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2012-04-14

Hi guys, moving over to spain sometime soon with wife and cats. Would love to know which is the best way to go with savings and bank accounts? Iam renting for a year or two till we find our feet, and have a nice bit of savings. But am confused about what i can do regarding uk savings and offshore? Any help with this issue would be great Thanks. :coolsmile:

Posted: 14 April 2012 06:38 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  744
Joined  2009-01-22

IMO the days of gaining from offshore are long over, all rates are low everywhere and subject to tax. So forget it, and accept being an investor is not currently very profitable. Better off spending and enjoying or buying assets and hope they appreciate.

Signature 

Rob
http://spainreexposed.wordpress.com/

Posted: 14 April 2012 10:12 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2855
Joined  2007-10-19

if you in the uk , try SANTANDER there spanish owned ... there BBVA , La Caixa and so on , most people just Iban for one account to out account
still keep you cash in the uk .... you have online accounts ? you just do the bank online thing can take 3 - 6 working day to come for one account to spanish account

Posted: 15 April 2012 02:57 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2012-04-14

So i am better off keeping savings in the uk then? Am still confused because some banks are saying you cannot have a UK bank account while living in Spain. Was hoping you guys would clear this up for me, i will be moving north of Barcelona on the cooast near Roses anyone near there?

Posted: 15 April 2012 03:02 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2012-04-14

I want to sort this first so i can understand our needs better, i have a online account with nationwide at the moment. everthing goes through that any help will be great. like what account you use how good is it? and if you have accounts in the uk is the bank ok with you living in Spain?

Posted: 15 April 2012 04:15 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-19

you can have as many bank accounts you want , across EU , there not offshore the in the european union

Posted: 15 April 2012 11:55 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2012-04-14

so all i have to do is let bank know that i am moving to Spain, then pay Spanish tax when i move over?

Posted: 16 April 2012 12:12 AM   [ # 7 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-19

you open a bank account in uk befor . just do the same here in spain , there many banks here in spain ,  i used la caixa , very helpful , and would i ban outher account in EU from it on line , free to do it take 3 -5 work days to go throught ....

speedy you moving here so need to get you paper work in order .... NIE numbers and so on .
Jurdy

Posted: 16 April 2012 06:19 PM   [ # 8 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  265
Joined  2011-09-10

Speedy:

I don’t think it is the U.K. bank’s business where you live.  If you are living in Spain (short or long-term) you can have a bank card on the U.K. bank (which you probably already have) which will allow you to withdraw cash, make purchases etc.
Likewise, you can open a Spanish bank account and also have a card. 

Just keep things as simple as you can.

And as Jur mentioned, it is important to get your documentation in order when coming to live/stay in Spain.

Patricia

Posted: 28 April 2012 01:55 PM   [ # 9 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2012-04-14

Thanks guys i will sort paper work out when i move over, have a sister inlaw that speaks very good Spanish so she is going to help us. house is up for sale now so fingers crossed, like i said going to rent for a year or two till we settle down. Am really looking forward to it now.