Considering making the move - advice on work needed
Posted: 17 November 2011 07:48 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2010-05-13

Hi there,

I’m 25 and currently living in Cardiff. I’ve wanted to make the move to Spain for years for several reasons (a love of the culture/language/landscape and so on). Next March my current contract at work will be coming to an end which coincides with my rental contract at my house ending, and I want to seize the opportunity by finally making a move abroad. I am currently working as a web designer for a well known travel website and I’m in the process of setting up as a freelancer for some extra cash. I know the jobs market in Spain will be as bad if not worse than that of the UK at the moment, so I’m thinking of trying to save enough cash to get by on for the first few months out there while trying to land some freelance web work.

My question is; how easy do you think it would be to find companies/individuals looking for web services in Spain? Am I being realistic in thinking that by advertising my services in the local area and online, I’ll be able to secure a few jobs to pay the bills? We are mainly interested in living in/around one of the larger coastal cities (Valencia/Barcelona/Malaga).

I can speak Spanish (although not really fluently) and my partner has a masters degree in Spanish and speaks it fluently so could provide translation services for my web work. I have a degree in Sound Technology, but I understand work in music/media would be even harder to come by. I would not be looking for permanent work as such, I hate being tied down so freelance seems like the best option for an initial 6-12 months living in Spain.

Apologies if I have been naive in what I’ve said, I’m a bit of a dreamer so I need to know what’s realistic.

Posted: 15 May 2012 10:57 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2011-12-29

I guess it has been a while since you posted. How did it all work out?