CHANGES AFOOT FOR EXPATS wishing to reside in Spain?
Posted: 18 July 2012 10:33 AM  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  682
Joined  2007-11-01

These two links explain the re-writing of certain requirements if any EU national wishes to be resident in Spain.
I had heard of these recently, but it is good to see them in print to try and work out what the Spanish Government hopes to achieve.

Basically, they are putting in writing that if you wish to reside in Spain (and register as such), then you must follow certain criteria (ones that are common sense, but have not actually been made ‘law’ as such previously.)

The nuts and bolts are:
-  If you are working - you have to provide details of your income (which the Hacienda would have known about before as we are all required to submit a tax return each year - employed or self- employed - or even unemployed!)

- If you are not working (and not of retirement age - 65 here) - you must provide PROOF TO SUPPORT YOURSELF - PLUS HAVE PRIVATE MEDICAL INSURANCE.

I do not have a great knowledge of politics, but it seems that the Spanish Govt are trying to seal every crack they can regarding Expats who reside here, but do not contribute to the system. But on the same hand, I have never heard of these people being a drain on the country, as basically if you are not registered, then you get nowt.  Yet they still pay rent, buy food and generally spend money (no matter how it was aquired.) No different to the vast black market that already exists in Spain. (Oh and the crooked lawyers, estate agents, etc, etc who do not declare/avoid taxes and have always done so.)

????????

familylifeinspain.com/que-pasa-espana

ukinspain.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for-british-nationals/living-in-spain/residence-req/residency-requirements-translation

Posted: 18 July 2012 06:20 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  265
Joined  2011-09-10

Sounds quite sensible to me.

Patricia

Posted: 18 July 2012 07:09 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2855
Joined  2007-10-19

would be good , how going work this one out ?

MORE PAPER WORK TO Q FOR and More MONEY TO PAY FOR PICE OFF PAPER

think out more want to be tax compliance , not just expats but spanish aswell .....

hear a story about guy on the uk dole and was flying back two uk once month to get uk dole as when ask about his colour , he told the sunbed is working fine ( it wasnt the uk summer )

but if you know some that in spain , and not been tax compliance where can you report them , wont have his address are nie number .... so what do you do

i know lots here in Malaga that brakeing the rules bought in spain and there expat Country ..... that live like kings , there openly tell me how to clain here and outher conutrys ... this has two be wrong ....

there living on Double incomes   , when poor old me has one income , have to pay bills , rent , fuel , transport , net , going out ( not cheap any more )

where is this law ? in spanish .......

Posted: 29 July 2012 04:04 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2012-07-29

It is sad because in the 1990s the world sought to become more and more borderless for individuals, as in humans.  This is why the economy did so well back then. Now it is getting like the cold war again but instead of just between the west and USSR it’s now everywhere and worse where they want to keep track of everyone and limit everyone’s freedom to the point we are slaves.  It’s ok for corporations to cross borders and to gad about freely as ever exploiting everything they can but not for individuals to just live their lives and be let alone.  What is happening to the world? When are they going to realize that clamping down on people causes them to get less mobile, less entrepreneurial, and so tighter with their money?  It’s unreal the amount of checkpoint-charlieism that’s going on.  Franco must cheering in his grave and Orwell wanting to write “told you so but you wouldn’t listen.”

Posted: 16 August 2012 10:48 AM   [ # 4 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-01

The Sur in English (10th Aug ed)..
outlines the new rules in more details.
Basically for proof of income (whether working or retired) is Eu5,000 for a single person.
Bit confused on this one. PLUS Eu8,000+ PER? dependent?

Also, must have social security for all (if entitled) or Private Medical cover.

Makes sense, but never saw any of this before in my 12 years here.
Are they going to turn away/refuse an application for residency when people cannot prove above?

Or will it make ‘black market’ dodgy income slips become the norm? (There are already companies who offer PAYE slips for UK citizens living here who want to take out a loan/mortgage/other in the UK and need proof of UK income, so why not the other way round/an extension of this.)

To me it is all crazy.  Like the poster above me says ^

Posted: 16 August 2012 03:08 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  265
Joined  2011-09-10

I have no problem with freedom of movement and people living wherever they wish to live, if they have the MEANS to so do.  But I don’t find anything odd about a country requiring a person coming to reside there to have a minimum income (where the person is not working and is unlikely to work).  What’s so Orwellian about that?  If properly implemented it will ensure that those coming to Spain (or any country) have enough to keep themselves. 
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again.  If you don’t have enough money do not move to another country (I am not talking about those coming to take up already arranged employment in another country). 

Patricia

Posted: 31 October 2012 08:33 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2012-08-21

Dear Patricia,

I understand why a country would want to close loopholes especially in tough times. However, think of this scenario.
A young couple meets while on vacation, falls in love, wants to get married. They are from different countries. They are not independently wealthy, however they do well, but without lots of extras. They are a teacher and a carpenter. Times are tough and it’s hard to find jobs in either country, especially with a language barrier. So say the teacher moves to Spain to be with her husband, does everything legally, they spend any extra possible cent paying for translators, metros/gas/buses running around to the dozens of offices/appointments that are necessary to 1)be married in Spain and 2)get a residence permit. Both are unemployed and want to be together, but because of the state of the economy (which was not necessarily of our creating….more like corrupt politicians) it’s impossible to find a job to get a visa. But to get a visa through marriage now you need money, or a job and health care (which you can only afford if you have a job) So the teacher has no hope of working in Spain legally until she gets a residence permit. She can’t pay for health insurance until she has a job and without the job and insurance she can’t get the residence permit. She is someone with skills, education and talent and could theoretically “add to society”. But it’s an endless circle. People can never rise up and be an addition to the world, nor their country if they are being held down. Just think about that before deciding whether or not this new law is just or not. Decent people don’t choose their husbands/wives based on money, so why should governments. I think it would do Spain a whole lot more justice if their residence requirements were being able to prove how you were going to add to Spain’s community.

Money is not what gives people value or worth. Why is it someone with money are the only one’s worthy of moving to another country? I barely have any money, have volunteered all my life, teach children and think I generally do the right thing. I know many people with money that don’t do anything to better the livelihoods of others. Who has more worth to you? Someone that can continue paying into the system or someone that will teach your child to read, serve you a warm meal and a smile during tough times, or create art for many to enjoy and inspire?

I’m only saying that money should not be the deciding factor here. There are other things that could help out Spain a whole lot more.

Respectfully,
Sam

Posted: 31 October 2012 11:31 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-01

Please also see my post of today regarding Access to FREE HEALTH CARE if you were registered as a resident before
24th April 2012.