Another Citizenship question.
Posted: 21 July 2012 01:39 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2012-07-21

Hi, I’ve read through a few threads and get some very contradictory answers…

I was born in Madrid to a British father and Spanish mother, have lived here my whole life and have held documents from both countries. (I have a British passport and a Spanish DNI). Never had any problems.

I went to University in the UK and have now completed a Master’s course in Madrid.

My documentation from the Universidad Aut?noma de Madrid quotes me as being Spanish. I am a bit worried that something may be flagged while searching for jobs. I have been convinced that I had dual citizenship/nationality (difference?) my entire life,  but am now starting to find out that I may be wrong.

All the information I find relates to acquiring nationality of a country other than Spain, but makes no reference to nationality acquired at birth (I qualified for both).

Help, please?

Posted: 01 August 2012 02:24 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  453
Joined  2008-12-30
snedwos - 21 July 2012 01:39 PM

Hi, I’ve read through a few threads and get some very contradictory answers…

I was born in Madrid to a British father and Spanish mother, have lived here my whole life and have held documents from both countries. (I have a British passport and a Spanish DNI). Never had any problems.

I went to University in the UK and have now completed a Master’s course in Madrid.

My documentation from the Universidad Aut?noma de Madrid quotes me as being Spanish. I am a bit worried that something may be flagged while searching for jobs. I have been convinced that I had dual citizenship/nationality (difference?) my entire life,  but am now starting to find out that I may be wrong.

All the information I find relates to acquiring nationality of a country other than Spain, but makes no reference to nationality acquired at birth (I qualified for both).

Help, please?

what exactly is the help you need? when you are in spain, you are considered a spaniard and when you are in the uk you are considered british, and in the rest of this world, you can choose to be british, spaniard or both.