Spanish birth certificate for child born in US
Posted: 29 August 2012 10:35 AM  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2011-10-11

I hope someone can help me.  My mother was born in the US, but I am fairly certain she had her birth recorded and had Spanish citizenship.  Unfortunately she has passed away some time ago, and I am at a loss to locate her Spanish BC.  I do have a Spanish “family passport” that lists her, her parents and her siblings, but have been unable to get any farther with the Spanish consulates.  I believe I saw something that said that these overseas births were registered in Madrid, and that they are available from one of the ministries. 

Any suggestions as to how I can find this document?

Thanks,  Dan

Posted: 29 August 2012 07:53 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  265
Joined  2011-09-10

I think you may have raised this question before, bacalao.

If the consulate(s= are unable to assist further, then it might be best to contact a good gestor?a in Madrid and see what they have to say.
What exactly did the officials at the consulate say to you?

Patricia

Posted: 30 August 2012 09:51 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2011-10-11

Actually it was a question about my Ley de la Memoria Historica claim, but I had thought that using a gestor would be one option to find my mother’s Spanish cert.  I guess my question is really where those documents are held, at the consulate where the report was made, or at one of the ministries in Madrid.  A gestor would likely not be helpful if the docs are here in the states.  It would, however, make more sense for them to be held in Spain.  The Los Amgeles consulate had little to offer me as to how to find the cert, but I suspect that the original report was to the San Francisco consulate.  I am unable to get a response from them either by email or by phone.  I do have an upcoming appointment in Los Angeles, I will ask them again where I may find that document.  If you have any insight, please let me know.

Dan