Pros and Cons
Posted: 07 September 2007 11:00 AM  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  31
Joined  2007-07-31

Over the next 5 years I will be deciding where in Spain I would prefer to spend my final days with my Spanish wife (then she will decide and that will be that.).  We have a number of distinct options.  We have a flat in Asturias and had thought to buy a house or reform a ruin there.  But we have Spanish family in Jaen.  But we had thought Extremadura or Cuenca or ......

So being an IT project type I thought why not approach the problem with a waited list of pros and cons:

Would anyone like to offer their region and 2 or 3 pros and cons?  I think it would be interesting to see what people think is important.  You might like to say whether your experience is as a visitor or perm. Resident.

So for me for example:

Asturias (regular visitor) : 
cons: weather (humidity issues, rains often)  isolated from family
pros:  variation of beautiful outdoors (coast, mountains, forests), tremendous public transport (air to UK, train, bus, road), great friendly people

Jaen:  (casual visitor)
cons:  far from coast, poor transport connection (esp air)
pros: dry heat, cheap - could afford a pool, close to flamenco homeland (I play fl. Guitar)

Posted: 13 September 2007 09:04 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  30
Joined  2007-08-18

I live in Madrid but spend a bit of time in Asturias.  I’ve been to the south (Cadiz) for the first two summers I lived here. 

Personally I like Asturias better.  For the reasons you stated plus the folks up there are pretty much hard workers.

Posted: 13 September 2007 12:33 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  303
Joined  2006-03-16

Hi, I’m not banging a drum for Jaen, particularly, but your comment about poor transport links to the UK might be out of date.  Granada airport is just down the motorway and has Ryanair flights to London Standsted, Liverpool and Nottingham.  Almeria, Murcia and Malaga airports are a bit of a schlep but do have loads of services to Britain.  Of course if you’re thinking about the ferry, that’s a different matter…..

Signature 

Martin, Scotland and the Alpujarra.  http://www.casasierra.blogspot.com

Posted: 15 September 2007 12:49 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  31
Joined  2007-07-31

Mart you made me laugh, thanks for that.  I have never used the ferry UK Spain and have no great desire but when I sever the link with the UK I guess it may be a hire van full of my final precious bits and pieces that arrive that way.  I guess I can send the van back full of olive oil, wine and chorizo as a final parting gift.

Yes I have used Ryanair to Granada but that is a fair old drive to the north of Jaen and in any case leaving a car at the airport I expect is not as costly as the UK but still some.  In asturias I have a great easyjet flight almost everyday around 4 pm and after 20 mins taxi I’m turning on the de-humidifyer and opening a beer.  I rarely have a car in Asturias, there really is no need.  (I love the narrow guage railway FEVE and it can get me almost everywhere including remote spots for next to nothing)

Just found this so I’m drifting more towards Asturias

Vendo pueblo de 11 casas a restaurar en Asturias   http://www.segundamano.es/vi/9472287.htm?ca=33_s

Well the price looks tempting and I love a challenge!!

Posted: 15 September 2007 01:17 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  30
Joined  2007-08-18
flyeogh - 15 September 2007 12:49 PM

Mart you made me laugh, thanks for that.  I have never used the ferry UK Spain and have no great desire but when I sever the link with the UK I guess it may be a hire van full of my final precious bits and pieces that arrive that way.  I guess I can send the van back full of olive oil, wine and chorizo as a final parting gift.

Yes I have used Ryanair to Granada but that is a fair old drive to the north of Jaen and in any case leaving a car at the airport I expect is not as costly as the UK but still some.  In asturias I have a great easyjet flight almost everyday around 4 pm and after 20 mins taxi I’m turning on the de-humidifyer and opening a beer.  I rarely have a car in Asturias, there really is no need.  (I love the narrow guage railway FEVE and it can get me almost everywhere including remote spots for next to nothing)

Just found this so I’m drifting more towards Asturias

Vendo pueblo de 11 casas a restaurar en Asturias   http://www.segundamano.es/vi/9472287.htm?ca=33_s

Well the price looks tempting and I love a challenge!!

We We’ve got a couple of houses for sale in Asturias, Meres to be exact, new consruction.  Also a couple of building lots.  If you’re interested, take a look…http://www.lahuertademeres.com/.

Cheers.

Posted: 04 October 2007 10:51 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2007-10-04

I’ve got to say my Favourite part of Spain has got to be Santander and Bilbao - I just absolutely love them, but then I don’t live there as I am in the South of France

Posted: 11 October 2007 08:57 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  32
Joined  2006-07-04
The Sewer The Sewer - 04 October 2007 10:51 PM

I’ve got to say my Favourite part of Spain has got to be Santander and Bilbao - I just absolutely love them, but then I don’t live there as I am in the South of France

If I may ask what it is that you love about those two cities?

Posted: 15 October 2007 11:43 AM   [ # 7 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2007-10-04

Hmmm…. good question….... I just love the culture and the beauty of some of the architecture, the feeling that you are on a permanent holiday… the food….. the ambience…...when you sail into Santander and you see the town built around the harbour….

It sort of makes me feel at home (Santander) and Bilbao just clicks with me