EU citiz +  USA wife
Posted: 25 October 2006 12:46 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2006-10-25

I am a EU citizen. Can my wife (American) get a work permit automatically if we move to Spain? I know she can reside there without problems, not sure about work… I know she can get a work permit in my home country automatically, but I am not sure in another EU country…

Does a company still need to apply for her? What is the procedure? Is it easier for the company if she is married to a EU citizen? Before we were married, she was refused a job offer because the company didn’t want to apply for the relevant work permit. Do Spanish companies normally sponsor non-EU citizens for work permits?

What about residence? Does she still need to apply for something? I am resident of a EU country, but she isn’t yet. Is it easier if she already has residency in my home country?

Thanks for any info and real-life experiences!

Posted: 25 October 2006 12:49 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2006-10-25

BTW, she is a designer and would also be willing to work as a freelance, with the appropriate TAX no. as required. Can she set-up her own business in case?  What kind of legal entity would that be and what level of capital outlay necessary to start that in case?

Posted: 07 November 2006 01:31 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2006-11-07

I’m no expert, but based on this site, I think she can work:

http://www.workpermit.com/european_union/family_members.htm

I am a dual citizen of the US and a new EU state, so I was checking this out for my husband, because he is a US citizen only.

Posted: 07 November 2006 01:34 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2006-11-07

More official info. This link was in another thread:

http://ec.europa.eu/youreurope/nav/en/citizens/working/free-circulation/index.html#2429_2

Posted: 12 November 2006 10:22 AM   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Also check out http://www.spainexpat.com/spain/information/jobs_and_working_in_spain/ for info about being freelance (autonomo).

You can get a visa de reagrupacion too. That’ll get her living legally in the country once you’re established here. I believe that also gives her the right to work.

No, most companies won’t go through the hassle of applying for a work visa for non-EU residents.

Hope that helps.

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 10 January 2007 01:21 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2006-10-25
The Expatriator - 12 November 2006 10:22 AM

Hope that helps.

Thank you!

D.

Posted: 03 October 2007 02:01 AM   [ # 6 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2006-10-25

Quick update…

After 1.5 months to get the appointment at the foreigners’ bureau to present the request all the documents for the tarjeta de residencia for EU family members, 1 month to go be finger printed at the local police station, it seems that in another 1 month, my wife will have her residence card…
Still not sure about working, but I think it is no problem.

Next thing: does anyone know what level of health coverage she will get?  I pay S.S. and get full coverage; I was told that if she doesn’t pay s.s. (directly or indirectly), then you get only partial coverage, also in Cataluna?
By the way, she could have applied for it even WITHOUT the tarjeta de residencia, they told me… Just the empadronimiento is enough apparently…

The Expatriator - 12 November 2006 10:22 AM

Also check out http://www.spainexpat.com/spain/information/jobs_and_working_in_spain/ for info about being freelance (autonomo).

You can get a visa de reagrupacion too. That’ll get her living legally in the country once you’re established here. I believe that also gives her the right to work.

No, most companies won’t go through the hassle of applying for a work visa for non-EU residents.

Hope that helps.