HIV
Posted: 08 October 2007 04:48 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2007-10-08

Hi
I am considering moving from the uk to spain. I am HIV positive…....does anyone have any knowledge of the availability/quality of HIV treatment in Spain?
Many thanks

Posted: 08 October 2007 11:13 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  66
Joined  2007-06-08

Hi,
We live close to barcelona. My experience with health care here is very good. Quick, cheap and a very “human” approach.
Do realize that this is very different for other parts of spain. When living in the south, realize that having serious issues might involve
a hospital in Madrid or Barcelona.

Ps. HIV is called VIH in spanish, Aids is called Sida.

A quick google gave me this:
http://www.thebody.com/index/hotlines/internat.html#spain

Good luck.

Posted: 08 October 2007 08:19 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2007-10-08

Thanks for your reply and the links.

Posted: 08 October 2007 10:41 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Are people with HIV/AIDS allowed in Spain? I know they aren’t in the US (as far as visas are concerned).

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 09 October 2007 01:55 AM   [ # 4 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2007-10-08

Yes, none of the member states of the EU bar entry on the basis of HIV, or any other disability. In any event , citizens of one European Union country have the automatic right of abode and work in any other.

Posted: 09 October 2007 02:04 AM   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Oh, “UKchris”, of course. I didn’t notice the UK part. And I think that’s great, I was just curious.

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 10 October 2007 09:59 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2007-10-08

does anyone know if one is covered under the social securty system if full reimbursement is provided for medication required to regulate cronic illnesses such as HIV?
thanks

Posted: 21 March 2012 01:46 AM   [ # 7 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2012-03-21

5 years too late, but if you are coming from the US or any other country that is not part of the EU and does not have national healthcare YOU CANNOT OBTAIN HIV TREATMENT IN SPAIN.  That is a bold statement, but 80% true. 

Here are some facts:
-HIV treatment in Spain is only administered at public hospitals
-You cannot use private insurance at a public hospital
-You cannot get HIV medications anywhere but at a public hospital in Spain
-No one working in the Spanish healthcare system really knows much about how to get care if you are not eligible for public healthcare - they aren’t even sure if you can pay cash

Here is a blog about the ongoing challenges of trying to obtain HIV care in Spain:

http://americanwithhivinspain.tumblr.com/