1 of 2
New to this site and thought I would show you this
Posted: 04 October 2007 10:48 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2007-10-04

Hi All

I am new to this site. I live in Montpellier, South of France and travel to Barca quite a lot - I love the whole area, and I have been here a few years, but I do miss a few things - Sweets, Marmite and Toasted Cheese Sarnies - A slab of Cheddar with Lea and Perrins, and a dollop of branston!!!

But aside from that I think I can live without it - It’s my treat when I go back to England, with a pint of Abbots Ale.

I have come across a website that delivers sweets 😊)) and I thought I would pass it on for anyone who is homesick - Its called

http://www.thepinksugarmouse.com

and the best thing is that I can get my malteser fudge from them 😊)

What sites can you recommend that would help with British Food? Horseradish is what I am looking for at the mo.

Posted: 08 October 2007 01:13 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  66
Joined  2007-06-08

try the mercadona, at times they do quite a bit of foreign food stuff…

think horseradish, brown sauce

PS. it?s BarNa, Barca is the football club

Posted: 11 October 2007 01:18 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  303
Joined  2006-03-16

I’ve seen fresh horseradish in markets in Spain - it’s called rabano picante.  Grate it and mix it with mayonnaise or sour cream, and it’s infinitely better than the stuff in a jar. Only make up as much as you need at one time though, as it loses its power quickly.

Signature 

Martin, Scotland and the Alpujarra.  http://www.casasierra.blogspot.com

Posted: 11 October 2007 01:32 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-06-08
MartCross - 11 October 2007 01:18 PM

I’ve seen fresh horseradish in markets in Spain - it’s called rabano picante.  Grate it and mix it with mayonnaise or sour cream, and it’s infinitely better than the stuff in a jar. Only make up as much as you need at one time though, as it loses its power quickly.

Yeah, but you are one of the knowing…

Try this:
Grate carrot (loads), add garlick (loads), mix with a bit of guark (smetana, or creme fraiche, or sour cream)... f***kin?heaven!!!

Posted: 11 October 2007 02:28 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-03-16

Like it, a bit of a remoulade thing going on there.  Try yoghurt instead of smetana and put in some spices like cummin, chilli, mustard seeds for an Indian/Middle Eastern variant.

Signature 

Posted: 11 October 2007 04:12 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-06-08
MartCross - 11 October 2007 02:28 PM

Like it, a bit of a remoulade thing going on there.  Try yoghurt instead of smetana and put in some spices like cummin, chilli, mustard seeds for an Indian/Middle Eastern variant.

Carefull! you never mix russian!

Talking about cooking with someone who could know: how do you make that indian cucumber thingy?

Posted: 11 October 2007 04:26 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-03-16

Raita, I think you mean.  There are lots of different variations, try a Google search, but mine is usually something like -

Crush a clove of garlic to a pulp with a little salt
Mix with a little lemon juice
Add finely chopped fresh chillis, variety and quantities depending on preference
Add finely chopped mint, about a tablespoonful
Add thick Greek yoghurt, about a US cup
Peel and de-seed half a cucumber, chop into small dice, add to mixture
Adjust salt and lemon to taste, add more yoghurt if you want a thinner consistency

That’s about it.  Good variations include chopped up cold potatoes (sounds odd, tastes good) and fresh pomegranate seeds, in which case you’d leave out the cucumber.

Signature 

Posted: 11 October 2007 04:34 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-06-08
MartCross - 11 October 2007 04:26 PM

Raita, I think you mean.  There are lots of different variations, try a Google search, but mine is usually something like -

Crush a clove of garlic to a pulp with a little salt
Mix with a little lemon juice
Add finely chopped fresh chillis, variety and quantities depending on preference
Add finely chopped mint, about a tablespoonful
Add thick Greek yoghurt, about a US cup
Peel and de-seed half a cucumber, chop into small dice, add to mixture
Adjust salt and lemon to taste, add more yoghurt if you want a thinner consistency

That’s about it.  Good variations include chopped up cold potatoes (sounds odd, tastes good) and fresh pomegranate seeds, in which case you’d leave out the cucumber.

Wil you marry me, please??? (hoping you?re a guy, and appreciating the compliment…)

Thank you! there is a god….

PS:
Change the carrot for remolacha (don?t know the english word) and add some anis (the seeds)
... heaven…

Posted: 11 October 2007 04:47 PM   [ # 8 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-03-16

Remolacha is beetroot, isn’t it? I’d love to marry you Veltel, and cook delicious sexy food for you every night, but my wife might have something to say about it.

Signature 

Posted: 11 October 2007 05:55 PM   [ # 9 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-06-08
MartCross - 11 October 2007 04:47 PM

Remolacha is beetroot, isn’t it? I’d love to marry you Veltel, and cook delicious sexy food for you every night, but my wife might have something to say about it.

To bad, but at least your wife has my girlfriend to talk to while we cook…
(She is russian, you couldn?t imagine a kitchen less explored…...) Yes! go tell the french!!!

Posted: 12 October 2007 11:38 AM   [ # 10 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-03-16

Don’t know much about Russian cooking, but one dish I love is called, I think, Gogo Shalyapin.  Mushrooms fried in butter and wine with garlic and smetana, placed on a bed of cooked vermicelli pasta, covered in ham and cheese and finished in the oven. Named after a famous Russian opera singer.  Ask your girlfriend if she knows it.  We’ve moved right away from the topic of horseradish in Spain, but hey, I don’t care;  I’m off to Granada tonight.

Signature 

Posted: 05 December 2007 05:26 PM   [ # 11 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2007-10-04

I managed to make a Borscht soup - It was superb.  I now have my own private dealer of Horseradish - He grows it himself just for me, as long as I pick it and give him a couple of bottles of wine

Posted: 05 December 2007 05:33 PM   [ # 12 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2007-10-04

Just a quickie - Does anyone by any chance know of anywhere that I can get christmas sweeties?

The website I gave out does them, but I am looking for something a bit closer to home

Ta all

Posted: 06 December 2007 03:16 AM   [ # 13 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  44
Joined  2007-12-04
The Sewer The Sewer - 05 December 2007 05:33 PM

Just a quickie - Does anyone by any chance know of anywhere that I can get christmas sweeties?.......

Yes of course, christmas sweeties are already in every supermarket. The best of all in El Corte Ingles. There are many in Barcelona. Somebody suggested Mercadona too. Try El Corte Ingles (their supermarkets) and the Gourmet section they have and then tell us!

Posted: 06 December 2007 08:17 AM   [ # 14 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2007-02-25

Where have you guys found sour cream?  I have been searching for it for months.  I heard a rumor that Lidl carried it, but I searched and the closest thing I found was plain yogurt and soft, white cheese.  Neither of which can be compared to sour cream.

Signature 

Laura

Posted: 06 December 2007 11:11 AM   [ # 15 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05
lb26 - 06 December 2007 08:17 AM

Where have you guys found sour cream?  I have been searching for it for months.  I heard a rumor that Lidl carried it, but I searched and the closest thing I found was plain yogurt and soft, white cheese.  Neither of which can be compared to sour cream.

Yeah, I bought that stuff too at first. But I think the last place I found sour cream was at El Corte Ingles. Did you check there?

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

1 2 > 
1 of 2