BRINGING MY DOG?
Posted: 11 October 2007 09:12 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2007-10-08

Hi everyone,  😊 I’m facing a very difficult decision and need some good honest advice!! I’m moving over to spain in December but nothing is pre-arranged, sort of flying by the seat of my pants really!! Trouble is as foot loose & fancy free as I like to think I am I do have a tie…......... My lovely old dog. I would love to think that we can sail off into the sunset together and make our new life in spain but as I am going to be relying on rental property only for at least a year til I’m settled I wonder how realistic I am being and how much it would hinder my chances of finding property to rent?: I’ve noticed that nearly every rental in the UK has a NO PETS policy, will I find the same in Spain? (costa Del Sol particularly)

Any advice gratefully recieved :down:

Signature 

no more English winters for me!! :lol:

Posted: 11 October 2007 09:48 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  38
Joined  2007-07-31

Hi there am taking two cats with me when i goe over, there should be no real issue when you get over there. As long as you have the dog vacs and tested before you leave? vets will sort all that out for you. I am still unsure if i will go by car or plane yet? if you want to get there fast try monarch air lines they deal with pets and fly out of Manchester, have heard they look after pets really well price around ?450 for two cats not sure about your dog? Sorry but it gives you an idea, you should have no issues renting with a dog i have family in spain and they say most spanish and expats can rent even if they have a dog/cat kind regards 😊

Posted: 11 October 2007 10:15 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2007-10-08

😊 Thanks for your reply. To be honest i don’t know what I would do if I couldn’t take her so its a relief to hear that its not impossible to bring her with me. Will be going over on the ferry to santander then driving down to the Costa Del Sol so she’ll be with us all the way there. Good luck with your pussy cats! Hope you’ve taught them meow in Spanish!  😉

Signature 

Posted: 11 October 2007 10:25 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  38
Joined  2007-07-31

No problem kerry both cats can say a few words in spanish, have two burmese very very vocal. Am moving to the north east side place called Empuria Brava near to Roses and about 40 mins from girona. My wifes family live out there, been going over there for the past ten years or so. We love it out there had enough of the UK and its 24/7 work /work time to relax a bit good luck to you and your dog hope you enjoy yourself over there kind regards :cheese:

Posted: 12 October 2007 12:31 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  760
Joined  2006-06-27

Hi KerryP,

No one seems to have really answered your question whether having a dog hinders your chances of getting a rental. I would say the short answer is YES!. A lot of rental properties tend to be on the smaller side with little or no garden (ie they have been paved) and so are probably are not appropriate for a dog. Many owners dont want the possible problems including trouble from neighbours complaining about a barking dog.
I am not saying it is impossible but obviously reduces your options - sorry I would hate to be sentencing your dear old friend to that big kennel in the sky!

Good luck.

Signature 

Rob
Best Choice Villas sl
http://www.bcvillas.com
Selling legal property on the Costa Blanca

Posted: 13 October 2007 11:55 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2007-10-08

Hi Robi, Thanks for your advice, to be honest I’m not surprised, I think I knew in my heart it wouldn’t be easy which is why I felt the need to post the question :down: It does call for some serious thinking doesn’t it? Mmmm wonder if my mum wants a dog?!  :lol:
Take Care xxxxxxxxx

Signature 

Posted: 14 October 2007 03:51 AM   [ # 6 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  35
Joined  2007-07-05
kerryp - 13 October 2007 11:55 PM

Hi Robi, Thanks for your advice, to be honest I’m not surprised, I think I knew in my heart it wouldn’t be easy which is why I felt the need to post the question :down: It does call for some serious thinking doesn’t it? Mmmm wonder if my mum wants a dog?!  :lol:
Take Care xxxxxxxxx

It is difficult, but not impossible. I took my dog with me to Costa Del Sol. I got a rental apartment in Nueva Andalucia. There are many properties that won’t take pets. But, in my experience, with the amount of properties vacant now, most are willing to compromise. You should take your dog with you.

Posted: 14 October 2007 12:20 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  760
Joined  2006-06-27

Yes Adrian has a point - there are a lot of rentals about. However I dont an apartment is the solution - many communities have no pets written into the their rules.

Another idea - why not leave the dog in the UK at first - come out - get yourself organised (easier without the dog ?) and then you can bring him over later.

If you go inland where its more rural it might be easier.

Please keep us posted - we want to knwo how it works out.

PS Great ad for the Spanish lottery on Spanish TV - guy has a dog. Its really clever (he is called Pedro) he does all the household chores (good trick photography) then he fills in the owners lottery entry and takes it to the lottery shop. Next shot - Pedro has a mansion with pool - owner sat at home saying Pedro- He never came back!

Signature 

Rob
Best Choice Villas sl
http://www.bcvillas.com
Selling legal property on the Costa Blanca

Posted: 14 October 2007 12:37 PM   [ # 8 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2007-10-08

😊 one step ahead of you…...... already decided to go over first and then fly her over when we are settled.( sounds very cosmopoliton doesn’t it?!) Thanks for all your advice guys you’ve been brilliant. We’ll keep you posted!!!! 😜

Signature 

Posted: 14 October 2007 07:28 PM   [ # 9 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  35
Joined  2007-07-05
ROBI - 14 October 2007 12:20 PM

Yes Adrian has a point - there are a lot of rentals about. However I dont an apartment is the solution - many communities have no pets written into the their rules.

A lot of the local Spanish seem to have dogs. Where do they live? I am sure there are communities that have a no pets rule, but when I was looking, for example in popular communities very close to Puerto Banus, no community specifically didn’t allow them? Or at least it didn’t come up as an issue.

Maybe it is like many things in Spain, there are rules, but nobody follows them?