no passport and need to travel!
Posted: 25 September 2007 05:34 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2007-04-02

I am in desperate need for some help!

I have an Italian passport which expired in July, I tried to renew it in February, but because I onced lived in London and have moved to Spain in less than one year, the Italian Consulate is really struggling to get the passport finished. The trouble is, I really need to travel - but the passport is expired! I have lost confidence in the Italian consulate, and dont think I will get my passport before the end of the year (despite me constantly chasing for it). Yes I know it sounds unreal, but the Italians are really that incompetent!

Anyway, I have been thinking about getting one of those “identity” cards (that my Spanish wife uses to travel). The problem is that I wouldnt know where to start. My wife is not proving helpful, at this point, so Ive come onto the board to seek some advice! Do I have to get a DNI number? If so, where do I do that? Do I have to get something else? How long do I have to be living in Spain for? Etc… any help would be great!

regards
Vince

Posted: 25 September 2007 05:55 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  760
Joined  2006-06-27

Hi Vince, If you are referring to the Spanish Residencia card previously issued to foreign Spanish residents FORGET IT. They are not issued anymore. I guess it depends on where you are travelling and how. Perhaps they would accept the fact that you have applied for a new passport ?

Signature 

Rob
Best Choice Villas sl
http://www.bcvillas.com
Selling legal property on the Costa Blanca

Posted: 25 September 2007 06:07 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2007-04-02

I have an NIE and enpadronimento, but yes no pictures on them, and of course cant use them to travel. I was referring to a DNI card (is this the same a residencia)?? I guess it doesnt matter, either way I cant travel with either of them.

I have been told by the Italian consulate that there’s no way I can travel without a passport (so I guess this means proof that Im still applying isnt enough either).. I also contacted Easyjet, they also said the same thing, I need the passport, theres no other way.

The other idea is to get Spanish citizenship (based on the fact Im married to a Spanish girl and living in Spain), but I dont really want to renounce my Italian citizenship (no matter how incompetent they are!)

Posted: 29 October 2007 10:32 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2007-10-22

hi vincent !!
one question are you stiill in spain ? can u just tell me if u want to apply for the spanish citizenship do u need to renouce to your italian citizenship ?i thought they changed the law ,have u been asking for it befor if u know anything can u just let me know as my wife is spanish and i realy want to get the spanish citizenship ,good luck for your travel.