Car import from USA
Posted: 11 November 2006 06:43 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2006-11-11

Hi,

I am new to this forum and I am seeking help about importing a car from USA to Spain. I am not moving to spain, but I would like to own a car in spain by our house at Malaga (at which we spend holidays). Because dollar value is low, lot’s of cars are a real bargain to buy from USA - even if you add the shipping costs (~4000-5000eur).

What additional costs should I take into account? Is there a toll fee? Will i need to pay VAT or other taxes? Where can I find more information about this issue?

Posted: 10 May 2007 09:52 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2007-05-10

Hi, My cousing is in the same scenario, can u or anybody give some clues, we have no idea of how to manage, thanks a lot, IP

Posted: 17 May 2007 03:42 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2007-05-17

Hello, this is a response to tpsalone.  To be honest with you, I think that many of the answers you are attempting to retrieve hcan be answered by the agents of shipping companies.  If you have the time, you can call a few of the companies that move containers from Port to Port,  and find out what all of the expenses are for bringing a car into Spain. Apparently, if you do not have residence, you may bring a vehicle into the country for 6 months- there are a number of spitulations however- you may need to pay a bond or gaurantee, you will probably have to pay IVA taxes, etc.  I do believe the Export companies in charge of the vessels should be able to answer your questions.  la.

Posted: 17 May 2007 02:48 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  74
Joined  2007-01-25

Hi,

I bought a cheap American Day Van in the UK, with the intention of using it in Spain, but I found out that it is almost impossible to register an American vehicle in Spain, as it will not have the required Certificate of European Conformity.

Also, I was unable to find an insurance company, either in Spain or the UK, that would offer me cover for it in Spain.

In the end, I swapped it for a vehicle that was originally Spanish registered (Opel Astra) but it is still proving tricky to get the paperwork sorted, so I am going to engage a local Gestor to do everything for me.

Used car prices are not too bad in Spain, but I know of people who buy cars at lower prices in France or Germany - and these are easier to re-register in Spain.

Alan.

Signature 

http://www.cavehomes.com
Amazing Andalucian Properties

Posted: 22 May 2007 03:03 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2007-02-07

If you are planning on bringing a car from USA to Spain I would advise you not to bother.  We recently moved from the USA to Spain and brought my car thinking the process was relatively easy. it is not.  You will with out a doubt have to change out your headlights to conform to EU standards which will cost approx 1000 euros depending on make, model and year of car + importation duties which is anywhere from 7-10% depending on the value of car again and registration on top of that.

Forgot trying to insure your car as not English or Spanish Insurance company will cover an american car - strange being that they drive on the same side of the road over there as they do here.

Good Luck

Posted: 22 May 2007 03:59 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  74
Joined  2007-01-25

There are lots of other differences between US and EU Specifications, including the exhaust and emission control systems, electrical and lighting systems, etc. and even if there is a similar make and model (i.e. a US and a UK version of the same car) the US version will almost certainly never get EU certification in Spain.

It seems strange to me that it is easier to register a UK Right-Hand Drive car in Spain, than it is to re-register my Spanish car that got re-registered in England, but so far, I have had lots of ‘experts’ scratching their heads but unable to find the right form to fill in.

Also, you might find spare parts and servicing a problem, and no Spanish insurer will issue other than temporary cover on a non-Spanish registered car.

I have found a local Gestor who has given me a quote of ?580 to re-register my own car, but the problem now is that once I start the process, I can’t legally drive the car again until it is complete and I have my new Spanish paperwork - and that could take weeks or months!

I wish I had know how difficult it was - I would have definitely bought a car over here from a dealer, and got them to do the paperwork as part of the deal.

Signature 

http://www.cavehomes.com
Amazing Andalucian Properties

Posted: 22 May 2007 11:34 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  28
Joined  2006-04-14

GEICO insures american cars and motorcycles in Spain. Costs about the same as in the US. Make sure you get the “green card” to drive across borders. Also I believe the import is only valid for 6 months, and I’m having a hell of a time getting a certificate for my motorcycle. It seems that since Yamaha doesn’t manufacturer my model for the EU market, I may need to ship it back and sell it there…

The bureacracy here is incredible!

Signature 

What was I doing? Oh yeah, now I remember…

😊-

Posted: 25 May 2007 02:13 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2007-05-25

Thanks for the note about Geico.

I imported a restored Vespa and have been learning as I go.  If you can’t get a COC or Homologacion for your Yamaha.  You should be able to register with a Ficha Tecnica Reducida.  What this is is a document that an engineer prepares that states the technical characteristics of your car. Essentially, it is 200 euro charge for an engineer to measure your car and give you a piece of paper with the same info as your owner’s manual.  It’s quite a racket as far as I’m concernedk, but that’s how it is.

Good luck

Posted: 15 June 2007 09:11 PM   [ # 8 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2007-06-15

hi, im trying to import a new non E3 homolugaled motorcycle into spain and am having troubles too. I believe i have to take the bike to tarragona or madrid get a ficha teqnica and pay about 1200?, but really i have no idea!!
HELP!

Posted: 15 June 2007 11:19 PM   [ # 9 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2007-05-25

Hi, I want to correct my post.  The Ficha Tecnica Reducida is a statement that your vehicle corresponds to an existing model already sold/existent in the Spanish database.  You can always get a Homologacion Unica, which is a technical document made especially for your car.  The 1200 Euro seems to be the price for the homologacion unica. 

By luck, I found an engineer that applied a very old ficha tecnica to my Vespa as the old ones were very general nature and could apply to many models.  However, this is a VERY exceptional instance.  In any case, it was a nightmare to get my provisional plates.  Next week it’s the ITV inspection.

I would recommend against importing a US vehicle unless money (and bureaucracy are of no concern to you).

Posted: 16 June 2007 01:20 PM   [ # 10 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2007-06-15

Do you know how to find out if my bike is on the list of homogulated bikes? Everyone seems to have the same opion as you, that its a nightmare and not worth doing, but i like a chalenge. I think i need to do a homogulation unico as my bike is from a small british company (CCM)

Posted: 17 June 2007 02:12 PM   [ # 11 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2007-05-25

Hi there,

You have to contact an engineer from the official “college of engineers” and he/she will look in the Spanish database and see if it exists.  You will most likely have to pay for this.  Your local government or ITV probably has a list of engineers, or you can look in the English “yellow pages” for an automobile administrator.  Another option is to call the manufacturer of your bike and talk to them about issuing a certificate for your specific model.

Good luck.

Posted: 27 October 2007 04:39 PM   [ # 12 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2007-10-27

Hi There,
I am new to this forum but thought I would add my experience re importing from USA.
I have, in the last two years imported 2 Honda Goldwing motorcycles from USA to Spain. I have paid all the required taxes, and had them both put onto Spanish plates.
There is only one problem, and the issue is with the homologation. The authorities are only interested in the taxes, IVA, matriculation costs etc.
As someone on this forum has already stated there is a single vehicle homologation that can be done by an engineer which can cost up to 2, 000 euros.
I managed to get around this, although I would recomend that before you go ahead and import it, that you get the right advice, especially as the laws change frequently.
I personally cannot understand why there are different laws in different EU countries, regarding importation.
I have friends who have imported their vehicles into Holland and UK and then once registered there bring them to Spain and then there is no problem in registering the vehicle.
Hope this helps

Posted: 28 October 2007 07:15 PM   [ # 13 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2855
Joined  2007-10-19

well the way fuel prices are going (GAS PRICES) better off looking around and tryto buy in the EU as said early on in the forum There are lots of other differences between US and EU Specifications, including the exhaust and emission control systems, electrical and lighting systems, etc. and even if there is a similar make and model (i.e. a US and a UK version of the same car) the US version will almost certainly never get EU certification in Spain.

some price off feul is now 1.76cent per liters
            ................. Unleaded     Diesel
Austria     Euro     -    -    1.14       1.04
Belgium     Euro   -    -        1.37     1.12
Finland     Euro   -    -    1.30       1.01
Germany   Euro   -    -      1.37     1.18
Greece           Euro   -    -        1.02     0.99
Netherlands   Euro   -    -      1.47     1.13
Italy             Euro   -    -    1.31       1.25
Luxembourg   Euro   -    -    1.13     0.94
Spain           Euro   -    -    1.06       0.97
France           Euro   -    -    1.28       1.11
Ireland     Euro   -    -    1.16       1.10
Portugal     Euro   -    -        1.33       1.10
Sweden   Swedish Krona   11.69   11.04   1.30   1.23

Slovenia   Euro   -    -        1.00   0.97
Switzerland   Swiss Franc   1.70   1.77   1.06   1.11
GB   Sterling   0.95   0.97   1.37   1.39
USA   US Dollars   0.74   0.78   0.54   0.57
Northern Ireland   Pound Sterling   0.96   0.97   1.37   1.39
Norway   Norwegian Krone   12.1   10.8   1.60   1.43
Poland   Zloty   4.34   3.76   1.18   1.03
Hungary   Forint   279.1   261.9   1.13   1.06
Czech Republic   Czech Koruna   30.3   28.5   1.13   1.06
Denmark   Danish Krone   10.1   9.15   1.40   1.27

Posted: 04 December 2007 02:09 PM   [ # 14 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  90
Joined  2007-12-02

I’m not too sure if you can really import a car unless you are taking up residency. I brought my car over from the USA when i moved to Madrid - it came in the same container as my personal belongings. I did not pay any taxes since i was able to prove that i had not lived in Spain for the previous 2 years and was moving it as a personal item which everyone is entitled to do without paying taxes on person effects. It was stressful at the time and i did engage a Gestor to care of it all, i did have to change the indicator lights which coast about 160 euros, the gestor with all other fees etc didn’t come to more that 500 euro. It was definately worht it financially. Luckily when we arrived here i did not have work and so had time to go to all the various places i needed to go to to get it all sorted out. I also know another couple who imported with less trouble than me, all in all i think it is worth it…

Signature 

In it for the long haul
http://www.hot-villa.com