2 of 2
New to this site and thought I would show you this
Posted: 06 December 2007 03:18 PM   [ # 16 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  44
Joined  2007-12-04
lb26 - 06 December 2007 08:17 AM

Where have you guys found sour cream?  I have been searching for it for months. ..............

Again Laura I will recommend El Corte Ingles supermarkets and the Gourmet section that is inside the building but outside the supermarket.

In Spanish it is called “crema agria” so ask the people who work there.

In this forum: http://www.dietaatkins.com/archive/index.php/t-9500.html somebody asked the same and they suggested Mercadona, Champion and Caprabo. They also suggest this poster to use cream and a spoon of lemon juice and wait for at least one hour.

Posted: 07 December 2007 12:32 AM   [ # 17 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  101
Joined  2007-02-02

I gave up hope long ago. I don’t think “real” sour cream exists in Spain. At least not in Madrid. Creme fraiche, reques?n and the lot are NOT sour cream. (Just give me a tub of Knudsen Sour Cream and a spoon and I’d be a happy girl!) If it did exist in Spain, wouldn’t Mexican restaurants serve it? But I’ve never seen sour cream at a Mexican restaurant in Spain. Has anyone else?

Sour cream is the only food I miss from back home.

Posted: 07 December 2007 03:01 AM   [ # 18 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  235
Joined  2007-04-25

I have found “The Cream Of Manchester” in Mercadona…

...Boddingtons of course!! 😉

Signature 

Visit our website - http://www.granadapropertyreform.com

“Dedicated to making your Spanish house a home”

Posted: 07 December 2007 09:21 AM   [ # 19 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2007-02-25

Dreamer, I am totally with you.  I believe that sour cream is the one thing I really miss from home, too.

I have checked El Corte Ingles, Lidl, Carrefour, Caprabo and OpenCor… but if some of you say you have found it at Mercadona, that is where I will be heading next!

I liked the recipe idea, maybe I will get desperate enough to try to make it myself….

I remember when I was in Spain during college and couldn’t find peanut butter and I was so upset, but now it is pretty easy to find.  Maybe it is just a matter of time before sour cream is mainstream in Spain?

Signature 

Laura

Posted: 07 December 2007 11:05 PM   [ # 20 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-04-25

I’m actually quite surprised what pops up in our local Mercadona. They seem to get quite a few “new” lines that we know & love.

We’ve also found some “English” stuff in the Al Campo supermarket from time to time, though as this is a French owned chain, they are one of the most likely places to try. They often have a good selection of UK produced cheeses, so may be worth a look if you have one locally.

Signature 

Posted: 12 December 2007 02:38 AM   [ # 21 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  59
Joined  2007-12-04
heath1974 - 07 December 2007 11:05 PM

I’m actually quite surprised what pops up in our local Mercadona. They seem to get quite a few “new” lines that we know & love.

Heath,
where is the nearest Mercadona in our area? 
My hubby is coeliac (severe intollerance to gluten) and has been told that Mercadona do a large range of gluten free produce, but we haven’t found our nearest big store yet (I’m assuming it’s only the larger stores that would sell gluten free products).

We can get some gluten free stuff from Carrefour, but it’s very expensive and tastes pretty awful too (or so he tells me!).
Same goes for Al Campo - more or less the same stuff there.

Or if anyone else here knows of somewhere that sells gluten free products we would be very grateful!

Posted: 12 December 2007 03:16 AM   [ # 22 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-04-25
zania - 12 December 2007 02:38 AM
heath1974 - 07 December 2007 11:05 PM

Heath,
where is the nearest Mercadona in our area? 
My hubby is coeliac (severe intollerance to gluten) and has been told that Mercadona do a large range of gluten free produce, but we haven’t found our nearest big store yet (I’m assuming it’s only the larger stores that would sell gluten free products).

We can get some gluten free stuff from Carrefour, but it’s very expensive and tastes pretty awful too (or so he tells me!).
Same goes for Al Campo - more or less the same stuff there.

Or if anyone else here knows of somewhere that sells gluten free products we would be very grateful!

Hi Zania,

There are two options for nearest Mercadona stores for you, in either Loja or Santa Fe. Both will probably take equal time to get to I reckon.

For the store in Loja, head into the town centre and the main street where most of the shops are, can’t miss it. For the store in Santa Fe, head towards Granada, but take the first sliproad off the autovia into Santa Fe. There are two roundabouts. At the smaller of the two, turn right and it’s about 100 yards down the road. I believe they are also building a new Mercadona at the moment in Huetor Tajar, which would be no more than 15 minutes from you.

Hope the directions help. Am not sure if they stock gluten free products or not, but they are both decent sized stores, so they may well do so.

Cheers,

Heath

Signature 

Posted: 12 December 2007 03:55 AM   [ # 23 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  59
Joined  2007-12-04

Thanks Heath,
that quick reply was much appreciated.
We’ll check out one or the other of them this week.  We’ve been told by one of the villagers here that Mercadona is best for gluten free - only hope they are right!

Our last attempt to buy gluten free bread was at our local farmacia - 4 euros for a couple of small rolls.  Not so bad if they tasted good, but they didn’t!

Gluten free is always expensive, wherever you live, but it’s an essential for us, so all information and help on this is good.
thanks.  😊

Posted: 12 December 2007 09:13 PM   [ # 24 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  303
Joined  2006-03-16

You can’t make sour cream with pasteurized cream because it will go bad before it sours, as there isn’t any “good” bacteria in there.  If you have access to non-pasteurized cream, then you can add about 1 tbs of vinegar to 400mls of the cream and leave it for a couple of hours to curdle.  But if you have access to un-pasteurized cream you probably live on a farm and know all this already.  You can of course make acidultated cream by adding lemon juice, but it’s different and tastes of lemons, obviously.  I’ve never looked for sour cream in Spain, but I notice there are lots of Eastern Europeans around these days.  Ask them, because they can’t live without it.  They will probably call it smetana - is that the same as American sour cream, or close enough?

Signature 

Martin, Scotland and the Alpujarra.  http://www.casasierra.blogspot.com

< 1 2
2 of 2