1 2 > 
1 of 2
For Those Americans who miss home?????
Posted: 18 December 2007 01:35 AM  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  86
Joined  2007-07-09

This is a little video that i found very inspiring and Very Very true!!!!! Listen to the words sorry about the vision but it is beautiful !!!!

Long live the American Spirit of the greatest nation on Earth???????

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnFvf2cImE4

Posted: 18 December 2007 01:51 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-07-09

I hope you can see it !!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted: 18 December 2007 01:55 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

I think you need to add the ‘.com’

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 18 December 2007 02:01 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-12-05

Hmm, a lot of clouds and patriotic, melodramatic singing… but hey, it’s not my country so I’ll shut up now!

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 18 December 2007 02:57 AM   [ # 4 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-07-09
The Expatriator - 18 December 2007 02:01 AM

Hmm, a lot of clouds and patriotic, melodramatic singing… but hey, it’s not my country so I’ll shut up now!

Yes i know is cloudy this other Video Aficionado shows better graphics

This is from an attraction in Epcot center disney is the world showcase all countries manufacture little villages an attractions of their country this is America. I just find this very true that besides being Inmerse in all the world’s problems because we are the world"s superpower and that sometimes were are criticize by people that do not understand the meaning of America in the world and how no other Nation on Earth has awaken hope in a Better tomorrow for the whole world is an Idea that is Bigger than America Itself!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tgbkbn_xjig&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tge_94lvow&feature=related

Posted: 18 December 2007 07:14 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  303
Joined  2006-03-16

Oh for goodness sake, that is awful, just awful.

Any estadunidenses who want to feel even more contrite should check out the Barney Cam nonsense on the White House site at http://www.whitehouse.gov/holiday/2007/barneycam.html. To be fair, Tony Blair’s cameo makes it pretty shameful for the British, too.

Signature 

Martin, Scotland and the Alpujarra.  http://www.casasierra.blogspot.com

Posted: 18 December 2007 09:04 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  101
Joined  2007-02-02

This is all just so painful to watch!

And the Barney Cam? Cringeworthy.

Posted: 27 December 2007 07:50 AM   [ # 7 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  35
Joined  2007-07-05

Wow! Thanks for the video! This can be really useful.

Next time, if there happens be be a medical emergency where somebody swallowed something and we need to induce vomiting, I will be sure to make them watch this video! Thanks again!

Posted: 27 December 2007 07:09 PM   [ # 8 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-07-09
Adrian - 27 December 2007 07:50 AM

Wow! Thanks for the video! This can be really useful.

Next time, if there happens be be a medical emergency where somebody swallowed something and we need to induce vomiting, I will be sure to make them watch this video! Thanks again!

Yes you are right??? sometimes when i eat something bad that causes some type of stomach ache!!! I always put the Spanish National Anthem and it works like laxative!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! great relief They should also prescribed the French and the German anthem’s as Laxatives!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S I am sorry if this offended anybody ?????

Posted: 12 February 2008 03:25 PM   [ # 9 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  43
Joined  2008-02-11
The Expatriator - 18 December 2007 02:01 AM

It is my country, but fortunately or unfortunately I’m immune to the effect of the sappy variety of home-grown American nationalism.  There are a more reflective ways of paying tribute to one’s country…  but for many, clouds and melodramatic singing are enough.

Posted: 08 March 2008 10:24 PM   [ # 10 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  32
Joined  2006-07-04
rokipatel - 27 December 2007 07:09 PM

Yes you are right??? sometimes when i eat something bad that causes some type of stomach ache!!! I always put the Spanish National Anthem and it works like laxative!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! great relief They should also prescribed the French and the German anthem’s as Laxatives!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S I am sorry if this offended anybody ?????

LOL Rokipatel you never fail to get a laugh out of me even if I don’t agree entirely with what you say or your approach. It’s pretty amusing to see your posts and the replies they get because it’s all very predictable. In fact it was pretty obvious what kind of responses your post would get from the very start. The video is over the top and I dont like it much myself. But, putting the video aside, it’s interesting to see how upset Europeans always get when something positive is ever said about the States. It’s like it hurts them to hear that the States does have some positive qualities. I don’t know why this is. This is something that separates Europeans from Americans. When someone says something positive about Europe to an American such as ?Did you know that Europeans get 6 weeks paid vacation a year?? Instead of sneering and making some snide remark, we get inspired by the idea and say ?wow how nice it must be!? I feel that I cannot say anything positive about my country with Europeans. In the end I just rather not talk about my country at all while I’m here. I don’t feel that I can even express myself on this forum without being attacked by some European which is why I haven’t felt like posting lately. I get enough of that just living here.

Posted: 08 March 2008 10:33 PM   [ # 11 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-02-11

[/quote]
I feel that I cannot say anything positive about my country with Europeans. In the end I just rather not talk about my country at all while I’m here. I don’t feel that I can even express myself on this forum without being attacked by some European which is why I haven’t felt like posting lately. I get enough of that just living here.[/quote]

I don’t know, YankeeGirl. I’m American and can have reasonable discussions with the Spaniards, Catalans, etc. around me here in Barcelona about the pluses and minuses of my corner of the U.S., California.

😊

It’s a good thing our country is very BIG and diverse.  It’s also BIG as far as obesity is concerned, but that’s another topic 😊

bye
😊

Posted: 08 March 2008 11:40 PM   [ # 12 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  32
Joined  2006-07-04
albaqaahuna - 08 March 2008 10:33 PM

I don’t know, YankeeGirl. I’m American and can have reasonable discussions with the Spaniards, Catalans, etc. around me here in Barcelona about the pluses and minuses of my corner of the U.S., California.

😊

It’s a good thing our country is very BIG and diverse.  It’s also BIG as far as obesity is concerned, but that’s another topic 😊

bye
😊

REASONABLE discussions is the important idea here. I’m just tired of the idiotic comments people make sometimes. Like an hour ago my cu?ado came to me and making small talk said ?Hey, so who do you want to vote for, Hillary or Obama?? and I said ?I don’t know i like them both for different reasons.? and raising his fist into the air revolutionary style he said ?Don’t vote for Hillary. She’s just more of the same. Down with hamburgueser?as and globalization. Yah!? 
Wtf? Does he have any idea of the differences between Hillary and Obama -it didn’t appear so. He’s just reciting the same anti-American b.s. that goes around without putting any real thought into it. I don’t know if you’ve received many other comments in that same vein. Since you’ve brought it up I’ll share one comment that impressed me last year made by a fellow teacher who I respected as a professional and an intellectual. But I couldn’t get past his theory about the obesity problem. According to him it’s that we don’t have olive oil in the United States. Interesting. I didn’t bother to tell him that just about everyone I know has Californian olive oil in their cupboards because I didn’t feel continuing a rediculous discussion. He said another amazing thing once, that our culture is so commercial that we offer classes on soft drinks in our high schools. Wow -I wonder where he pulled that one out of because he’s never been to the States but obviously likes to walk around acting like an authority on the subject. Soda 101 -that’s a new one to me.
oh yeah and about a month ago one of my husband’s friends came to me during a dinner said privately ?se come mucho mejor aqu? que en los EEUU, eh? Solo comeis crema de cacahuete y perritos calientes. No teneis tu propia comida…? I was so stunned I didn’t know what to say. YEAH all these years I’ve been surviving on peanut butter and hotdogs because there’s nothing else to eat in the States. There are more but will spare you.
Around my work I’m known as ?Nevaska? because people can’t remember if I’m from Nevada or Nebraska, or this mythical state they call ?Nevaska?. Actually I think that one’s cute and I like being called it. But, anyway, it’s the misconceptions about the States that get me, and how offensive people can be while expressing them.

Posted: 09 March 2008 04:10 AM   [ # 13 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-12-05

You guys are great. “Nevaska!” I love it. Your cu?ado sounds hilarious, if a bit off putting at times. Hopefully you don’t get sick of correcting him.

Signature 

Posted: 10 March 2008 01:28 AM   [ # 14 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-02-11

Nevaska!

What a laugh. I’d rather be called Alaska after the fab singer from the Movida Madrile?a…  I’m American but I’m the son of immigrants from South Asia and I learned to deal up close and personal with obnoxious old-fashioned American racism in the Midwest, in New England, the West…  I don’t even know whether racism is the approrpriate term to describe the kind of ignorance that leads people to make silly comments about their notions of your ethnic origins, your religion, etc. I learned to have a thick skin in the U.S. but the best thing to do is laugh at the idiots and give them a little of their own medecine. It sounds like you do a little bit of that because even though you seem offended by their comments, you find them ridiculous enough to laugh AT them.

The self-proclaimed experts on whatever always tend to be obnoxious no matter what they go on and on about…  I’ve heard self-proclaimed experts, both here and in the States, go on and on and on about things that they know nothing about…

The good thing is that this kind of stupidity is universal, you find it in Nebraska 😊 and in Andaluc?a…  You’ll be the wiser person in the long run.

cheers

yankeegirl - 08 March 2008 11:40 PM
albaqaahuna - 08 March 2008 10:33 PM

😊

bye
😊

REASONABLE discussions is the important idea here. I’m just tired of the idiotic comments people make sometimes. Like an hour ago my cu?ado came to me and making small talk said ?Hey, so who do you want to vote for, Hillary or Obama?? and I said ?I don’t know i like them both for different reasons.? and raising his fist into the air revolutionary style he said ?Don’t vote for Hillary. She’s just more of the same. Down with hamburgueser?as and globalization. Yah!? 
Wtf? Does he have any idea of the differences between Hillary and Obama -it didn’t appear so. He’s just reciting the same anti-American b.s. that goes around without putting any real thought into it. I don’t know if you’ve received many other comments in that same vein. Since you’ve brought it up I’ll share one comment that impressed me last year made by a fellow teacher who I respected as a professional and an intellectual. But I couldn’t get past his theory about the obesity problem. According to him it’s that we don’t have olive oil in the United States. Interesting. I didn’t bother to tell him that just about everyone I know has Californian olive oil in their cupboards because I didn’t feel continuing a rediculous discussion. He said another amazing thing once, that our culture is so commercial that we offer classes on soft drinks in our high schools. Wow -I wonder where he pulled that one out of because he’s never been to the States but obviously likes to walk around acting like an authority on the subject. Soda 101 -that’s a new one to me.
oh yeah and about a month ago one of my husband’s friends came to me during a dinner said privately ?se come mucho mejor aqu? que en los EEUU, eh? Solo comeis crema de cacahuete y perritos calientes. No teneis tu propia comida…? I was so stunned I didn’t know what to say. YEAH all these years I’ve been surviving on peanut butter and hotdogs because there’s nothing else to eat in the States. There are more but will spare you.
Around my work I’m known as ?Nevaska? because people can’t remember if I’m from Nevada or Nebraska, or this mythical state they call ?Nevaska?. Actually I think that one’s cute and I like being called it. But, anyway, it’s the misconceptions about the States that get me, and how offensive people can be while expressing them.

Posted: 10 March 2008 01:30 AM   [ # 15 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-02-11

Roki: I want the PR Reggaet?n version of the Star-Spangled Banner!

😊

1 2 > 
1 of 2
‹‹ Child Benefit      ?Feliz a?o nuevo 2008! ››