1 2 3 > 
1 of 3
Spanish driving licence
Posted: 25 December 2007 04:53 AM  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2007-06-08

Can anybody confirm for me that to obtain a Spanish driving licence (swapping the plastic UK type for a Spanish plastic type) one must be a resident here in Spain. I want to change my existing UK driving licence for a Spanish one, some information from the web says that with the correct paperwork, ie 2 photos, copy of passport, copy of NIE and a copy of my existing licence(front and back) and a medical of course, will be enough to change it. Other sites say that I must be a resident in order to proceed with this.

Posted: 26 December 2007 05:34 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  760
Joined  2006-06-27

Yes you MUST be resident here in Spain and present your new Residence Certificate or the old Residence Card.

Signature 

Rob
Best Choice Villas sl
http://www.bcvillas.com
Selling legal property on the Costa Blanca

Posted: 28 December 2007 03:26 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Joined  2007-06-08

Sorry Robbi but you are wrong on this occasion.
Today I went to the traffic office here in Valencia to find out for myself and was told exactly what they require, they are as follows;

1) A copy of your DNI.
2) A copy of your passport.
3) Two passport size colour photographs.
4) Original existing UK driving licence.
5) Original copy of proof of your correct address and time spent living there. (Obtained from your local Town hall)

Posted: 28 December 2007 02:03 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-06-27

Hola Dios41 - OK! It sounds like the Valencia traffico are working to different rules than the Alicante traffico! In Alicante last September I definitely had to show the Residence certificate. I remember it clearly because he said he was the first one he had seen he was used to the old card. You do say however that they wanted proof of time living at your address which suggests that they are not going to issue to tourists. Did you get the new ID card type?

Signature 

Rob
Best Choice Villas sl

Posted: 28 December 2007 03:29 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  90
Joined  2007-12-02

Why do we need to swap our UK license for a Spanish one, it’s all EU, i thought that we were within our right to continue driving on any EU issued license as long as it is the plastic credit card size type with photo. I’ve been here 2.5 years and drive on my Uk license and don’t want to give it up since it is valid until 2039! What’s the renewal period on the Spanish license?

Signature 

In it for the long haul
http://www.hot-villa.com

Posted: 28 December 2007 04:16 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-06-27

It may not be valid until 2039 under Spanish Law because (as I understand it) although we are no longer compelled to change to a Spanish License we do have to conform to local laws which in Spain mean having regular health checks. I quote from Brian Deller who writes in the Costa Blanca paper Round Town News (and also publishes a book on driving in Spain) that a British women (resident in Spain)  who was involved in an accident in Spain was driving on a UK license but because she had not taken the appropriate Spanish health check was found in breach of the law and her insurance company would not pay out.

The text below is from the following site:
http://www.residenteseuropeos.com/entramites.php

From 1 July 1996, drivers from EU countries can drive with their original licence as long as it is valid and has not expired. However, the country of residence may apply its own national conditions in relation to validity period, medical check-ups and taxes, and can record on the licence any other information that is required for administrative purposes. (end of cut and pasted text)

So in my opinion despite the EUs best attempts to ?harmonise? this issue there is still a lot of ambiguity and regional interpretation of the rules so the only sure way to be legal is to go Spanish - and it will also give you aan easy way of having ID following the demise of the much loved Residencia card!

Signature 

Rob
Best Choice Villas sl

Posted: 28 December 2007 08:20 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Joined  2007-06-08

Hi Robi,
I have not yet received my Spanish licence but I assume that it will be the new plastic type, I will of course let you know when I finally receive it. I guess since the Spanish residency for Brits is no longer a requirement,  that this is the reason that they are not asking for it any more when applying for a Spanish driving licence.

Posted: 28 December 2007 08:46 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Hey guys, FYI that a proof of residency or time living in Spain can be provided by the empadronamiento instead of a residence permit. Hence one doesn’t need to be a resident - just show an empadronamiento certificate older than 6 months. For EU citizens you don’t even need this proof (according to that residenteseuropeos.com site). The requirements to exchange your drivers license are as follows:

- Official application form provided by the Provincial Traffic Headquarters where you wish to obtain the licence.
- Photocopy of your valid National Identity Card, Passport or Foreigner?s Identity Card (N.I.E.) which accredits your official residency or status as a student in Spain for the minimum period required, along with the original documents, which will be returned once checked.
- Two recent 32 x 25 mm photographs.
- Written declaration that you have not had your right to drive motor vehicles or motorcycles revoked by legal resolution or had your driving licence suspended.
- Written declaration that you do not hold any other type of driving licence, issued in Spain or another community country, of the same class as the one applied for. - The licence you wish to exchange, copy or photocopy.

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 28 December 2007 09:46 PM   [ # 8 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  90
Joined  2007-12-02

Anyone know the validity of the Spanish license? 5 years/10 years?

Signature 

In it for the long haul
http://www.hot-villa.com

Posted: 29 December 2007 01:20 AM   [ # 9 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Joined  2007-06-08

Spanish group 1 driving licence,

Lasts for ten years until the age of 45, whereby this reduces to five years until age 70 when it reduces futher to two years, obviously each licence renewal is accompanied with its relevant medical examination.

Posted: 29 December 2007 03:25 PM   [ # 10 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-06-27

I really DO NOT AGREE with the comments regarding Residencia and the need only to have a Padron. This goes against a document published by the government as against the local Alicante web site.

This document Regulations Governing EU citizens in Spain which I downloaded from
http://extranjeros.mtas.es/ (Adobe so I cant cut and paste ?)

Says - Royal decree 240/2007 Feb 16th

Within 3 months of arriving in Spain - go to Foreigners Office or Police and apply for registration on the Central register of Foreigners (this is not padron which is local town hall list of people living in the area) using form EX16. You will be issued with a Residents Certificate.

No way are the banks/notaries etc in my area (Costa Blanca) going to accept residence status without either the old card or the new certificate.

I think the Residentes Europeos site tries to be helpful but loses a lot in translation!

Signature 

Rob
Best Choice Villas sl

Posted: 29 December 2007 06:11 PM   [ # 11 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Joined  2007-06-08

Take it easy Robi,
If there is now no longer a requirement, why make things more difficult? The problem that we all have here in Spain is that the legislation is constantly changing also coupled with the length of time it takes to pass new laws from the European Government onto the local courts here in Spain, why even half of the Guardia are unsure of the current status with regards to the UK plastic type licence, for example at this moment in time there does not exist any way of processing penalty points onto a UK licence being used here in Spain.

Posted: 29 December 2007 11:51 PM   [ # 12 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Well, perhaps getting a drivers license is more difficult for EU citizens. 😊

Obviously someone on a work visa is not going to have a Residence card/certificate. They’re required to get a Spanish license after a year (if I remember correctly).

Edit: I realize this is not apples to apples because we were talking about exchanging your British license for a Spanish one, but if non-EU foreigners can get a Spanish license without residence card then shouldn’t EU citizens as well? And according to the site that you pointed out, Rob, apparently there’s no mention, specifically, of the residence card. Or did I miss something?

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 31 December 2007 06:09 PM   [ # 13 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Joined  2007-06-08

A residents card or certificate is no longer required for British expats living in Spain.

Posted: 01 January 2008 06:50 PM   [ # 14 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2008-01-01

Hello Everyone,

Sorry if Im being silly but could someone please clarify something for me.  We are moving over early 08 and plan to bring our english car with us as renting for 6-12months then if everything works will register as spainsh, however beofre we do this do we have to get our English card type license changed or will we be alright to drive in our car (before being registered as spainsh) on the licenses we already have in england.

Your advise is much appricatied.

Posted: 01 January 2008 09:46 PM   [ # 15 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Joined  2007-06-08

Bringing a UK registered car into Spain is now a pretty limited thing to do, as the law has changed and the official time given to Brits actually living here in Spain is now only thirty days then the car must be reregistered with Spainish plates. If you have an email address I can send you just the info that you need regarding this matter.

1 2 3 > 
1 of 3