New to Barcelona
Posted: 22 November 2007 10:40 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2007-05-30

Hi, I?m an English teacher, new to Barcelona, and was hoping to get advice on where to meet other expats. I?m 27 and really in need of some conversation, drinks, coffee, anything social!  If you have any suggestions that would be great!

Posted: 27 November 2007 06:06 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2007-02-25

Hello there,

I am also en English teacher in Barcelona and would love to meet more expats.  I even started an “expat film club” a few months back and it was going well for a while, but fizzled out.  I am 30, and from New York.  I have been living in Barcelona since August, although I had spent a lot of time here before actually moving and therefore feel pretty comfortable in the city.  Having a Spanish boyfriend certainly helps!

I am back in the states for the holidays, but will be back in BCN in early January.  If you’d ever like to meet up for coffee, shopping, a movie or whatever, pm me and we’ll figure it out.

Nice to meet you!

Signature 

Laura

Posted: 30 November 2007 06:08 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2007-11-30

Hi, I’m 25 about to move to Barcelona. I’m nervous about not knowing anyone and not being able to speak Catalan and terribly Spanish. I’m Canadian and a native English speaker as well as fluent in French. I would love to get together with anyone who is also new to Barcelona and might want to meet up and discuss. Also, if there are any expat clubs or meetings I’d love to hear about them.
Thanks very much,
Kate

Posted: 30 November 2007 07:33 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Joined  2007-02-25

Hi Kate!

Nice to meet you.  We should definitely all get together after the holidays (I am back in the U.S. until early January) and share our experiences being expats in Barcelona.  I know you must be nervous, but Barcelona is amazing, and your fluent french will help you understand Catalan very quickly. 

When are you arriving?  Do you have a job set up?

Laura

Signature 

Laura

Posted: 11 December 2007 11:40 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  46
Joined  2007-06-01

Hi All,

Lived in Barcelona for two years, if you can get hold of the Metropolitan Magazine that is full of variant clubs, meetings, all for expats, its free and normally can be found in touristy areas, we used to get ours from the dentist or school that my children went to.  Check out http://www.barcelona-metropolitan.com hopefully that might of some help, there are loads of classified ads for loads of groups. 

Good luck, its a great place to live, we have moved to Andalucia, massive family, need loads of space.  Long story!!

Posted: 18 December 2007 07:52 AM   [ # 5 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2007-12-18

Hi! I am 24 years old and have lived in BCN since the end of August. I am about to go back to Germany for the holidays but will be living in Barcelona until June… I’m an Erasmus student at UB and somewhat in need of a break from all the Erasmus students. 😉

Posted: 21 December 2007 01:06 AM   [ # 6 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Joined  2007-02-25

Hola Mariposa,

I am also studying at UB.  I am doing my doctorate there.  Which campus are you?  I am at Campus Mundet.

I would love to get together after the holidays.  I am back in Barcelona on January 6th.  Would be great to meet other expats in Barcelona!

Nice to meet you,

Signature 

Laura

Posted: 03 January 2008 04:57 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2008-01-03

Hi everyone,  I just signed up today but I’m a 7 year veteran of Catalonia.  Don’t live in BCN unfortunately - far too expensisve!
I live in a small town in Lleida province,  about 130km west of BCN.  Don’t get into the city very often ‘cos I’m rather busy, but it’s just an hour down the road so if anybody wants to meet up I can be there in a jiffy.
I propose a visit to the Tarragona/Valls region to eat cal?ots. 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calçot

‹‹ Matchmaker      Moving to Cordoba ››