moving from USA to barcelona
Posted: 03 January 2008 11:17 AM  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  18
Joined  2007-03-17

hi

my husband and I and our 2 daughters are moving to barcelona 2008 (can’t wait)

-Does anyone could recommend a moving company (we are moving our car and personal belonging)?
- we are self employed so we are going to get private insurance any recommendation on a good health insurance?
- our business is based in the US , are we going to have to pay taxes in spain?

thanks in advance for all your response

sylvie

Posted: 03 January 2008 03:17 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  303
Joined  2006-03-16

You could probably save money, and you will certainly save lots and lots of hassle, if you sell your car in the US and buy another one in Spain.  See elsewhere on these forums for details of the torture that is re-registering a North American vehicle in Europe (even if it’s a European make).  Spanish cities are terrible places to drive and park, and every car gets bashed, so you may not wish to bring your lovely big US car anyway.  Good luck.

Signature 

Martin, Scotland and the Alpujarra.  http://www.casasierra.blogspot.com

Posted: 03 January 2008 03:51 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  90
Joined  2007-12-02

Hi Sylvie,

I don’t agree with Martin, I imported my Toyota RAV4 from the USA to Spain (Madrid) it was well worth it financially even when weighted up again the hassle factor (but perhaps I was just lucky) I did use a gestor who took care of things for 200 euro.

I moved from Baltimore and used Von Paris movers - don’t know if they are perhaps local to Maryland, on this end though the company was Gil Stauffer, not sure if this will help you since I’m in Madrid and you are going to Barcelona (the 40ft container cost about USD 8000 to ship and took about 6 -8 weeks). Since we moved all the content of our house it didn’t cost us very much more at all to put the car in the same container and this is why we decided that it was worth it.

Good luck
Ranpal

Signature 

In it for the long haul
http://www.hot-villa.com

Posted: 06 January 2008 07:07 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  18
Joined  2007-03-17

Thanks for the responses. we are going to bring our car and use a gestor to register it. We going to use our car insurance ( geico) until we get our spanish licence plate

I’m checking on different moving company and getting quote from all of them.
if you think on any advise on making the move easier let me know

thanks

sylvie

Posted: 12 January 2008 04:10 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2008-01-12

I had gotten several bids from local moving companies and all were quite expensive. A my friend are maxonmove since they had recently moved and had been quite satisfied with them. I received a lower quote than any of the other moving companies. I was skeptical and called several times to clarify. http://maxonmove.com/