Web designer / IT Engineer moving to Alicante
Posted: 13 January 2008 12:44 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2008-01-13

Hi

Ill be moving over to Alicante in about march time to Qusada (spelling?) and just wondered what work is like for IT engineers is like out there ? Microsoft qualified etc ...

Seems daft but do they have english cinemas etc ...I have abasic graps of spanish and will continue to learn when Im out there but im sure you all know how daunting it is when you move out, leave your job and start a fresh knowing no one

Thanks
Gareth

Posted: 15 January 2008 12:34 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2008-01-13

Not one reply ...shame :(

Posted: 15 January 2008 01:39 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2855
Joined  2007-10-19

you post got lossed in here but you like it out here , as in work you have no problem get it if you want to fixed computers once you put up notices , and so on as in big companys i dont know but ask around if any one looking for IT engineers

Posted: 15 January 2008 01:51 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2008-01-13

cheers .. I intend to setup on my own 😊 just wondering ...what about cinemas making friends etc ? x

Posted: 15 January 2008 02:03 AM   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-19

will tv here is in a dual   “A-B” button and you get the english language soundtracks if the show are movie from Usa
on my Digial+ 75 % off the channels are duel language soundtracks change the to english language but payying for it ... well we say i know how to do it with out pass the cash

should i have say that out load .....!

Making freinds around here you have no problems there lot off english people around , irish and so on

Posted: 15 January 2008 02:05 AM   [ # 5 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2008-01-13

what about cinemas

Posted: 15 January 2008 06:48 AM   [ # 6 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-19

will fine ou about it but work here for a comapny and the dvd that are load here is unreal so never had to fine the english cinemas but will ask around , may take few days and i get back to you
jurdy

Posted: 16 January 2008 10:16 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  303
Joined  2006-03-16

You’re keen on cinemas, yeah?  Most big commercial movies - i.e. Holywood - are dubbed into Spanish for cinema release.  Arty movies - including most US independents and some British films - are usually released with the original soundtrack and Spanish subtitles.  Big multiplexes and city-centre movie houses will sometimes offer a choice even within the mainstream, so you can choose to catch the subtitled version rather than the dubbed one.  The magic words to look for are “version original”, sometimes abreviated to “VO” which indicates a movie is not dubbed.  (Of course this applies to movies in other languages as well as English…..)

Signature 

Martin, Scotland and the Alpujarra.  http://www.casasierra.blogspot.com

Posted: 20 January 2008 01:37 PM   [ # 8 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2008-01-20

Gareth - Don’t worry on the social side, people are very sociable out here and very willing to talk to you.  There are loads of bars, no you not have to drink to excess but it is a good way of meeting folks.  Quasada has a thriving ex-pat community so you will find loads of people to talk to there, and there are some younger ones amongst the majority Silver Surfers.  I think there is British films shown on various cinemas on dedicated nights, you will have to look around.  You may have to go into Torrevieja for that.

As for work there are many people offering IT support at different levels in the English Language newspapers, google Costa Blanca News and/or Round Town News for their on line versions which may give you more info.

Regards
DG

Posted: 23 January 2008 10:40 PM   [ # 9 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  760
Joined  2006-06-27

Hi Gareth,

Just for the record its QUESADA

OK There are up todate films shown every Sat/Sun in Pillar de Horadada along the coast south from Torrevieja but life in Spain is not all about cinemas!

Hit the site:

f you saw and liked “THE NOTEBOOK” some years ago then you will enjoy this film. It is a similar and very good film. ...
http://www.cinemapilar.com/ - 16k - Cached - Similar pages

Good luck.

Signature 

Rob
Best Choice Villas sl
http://www.bcvillas.com
Selling legal property on the Costa Blanca