Bring my mobile phone to Spain or not?
Posted: 24 January 2008 05:47 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2008-01-03

Hi

We are coming to look for property for a couple of months (March/May)  At the moment I am on T-Mobile for my mobile phone in the UK.  When we visit Spain calls home will cost 38p min, texts home 40p, receive calls from home 19pmin and receive texts free.

Could any one advise me if there is a better way of telephone communication from Spain to UK.

The other question I would be grateful for help on is;  When in Spain we will be contacting Estate Agents etc, would we be better off just buying a “pay as you go card” for a mobile and is there a prefered company in Spain.

Grateful for any help or advice, regards John

Posted: 24 January 2008 07:37 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  303
Joined  2006-03-16

I use a Spanish pre-pay sim card from Vodafone in my usual phone and just swap the cards over when I’m in Spain.  I don’t recall the exact cost of calls with the Vodafone card, but it’s a fraction of what it would cost to use my UK 02 card in Spain (and so cheap that a 10 euro top-up lasts ages).  Most significantly, there’s no charge for receiving calls or texts from the UK (or anywhere else for that matter). There’s always a variety of deals about from various suppliers, but as an example my card cost ?25 and came with ?30 worth of calls. The most convenient way to get a card is probably at a tobacconist - estanco - where you can also top up your account. Check that your phone is ready for use with another sim before you leave the UK - if it isn’t, you may be able to find an unlocking code on line, or you could take it to a backstreet shop where they’ll unlock it for a tenner or something like that. (Incidentally, in France all phones are sold unlocked by law, so buy your next phone from a French website!) I’ve got no complaints about Vodafone Espana, but some Spanish friends reckon Movistar has better coverage in rural and mountainous areas.

Signature 

Martin, Scotland and the Alpujarra.  http://www.casasierra.blogspot.com

Posted: 24 January 2008 08:14 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

I agree with Martin, the pay as you go, particularly with Vodafone, is the best way to go. It’s surprisingly affordable.

John, we’ve covered the whole gamut in our newly updated mobile phones page. FYI.

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 25 January 2008 06:27 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2855
Joined  2007-10-19

like in the uk the supermarkets have just cashed in on the market with big Large retailers like El court de ingles and Carrefour offer relatively good deals. with there own networks aswell now
havnt tryed thm as bills with company
call are round off to the near hightest minites
ask you comapny for for Roaming prices for spain as there some good deal now befor you go
2 need to record message on you phone telling people you now on you spanish tel no and recivers text aswell

what i do tell every one if hear a funny tone on my phone when thay ring i am away try my spanish phone no. are get touch with the borthers office . if some one keep ring me i text them ask “whats up txet e ack only ” cant take the call . it works

you wont see 50 GBP going on bills r top ups go in week in spain there not cheap on roming in spain

MartCross Reciver calls in Spain you pay roming ” 02.co.uk” “We pass a proportion of this cost to our customers.  becareful there

Most significantly, there?s no charge for receiving calls or texts from the UK (or anywhere else for that matter). Not ture you rom you pay out side you network comapny like 02 uk when in spain