Agency fees (rentals)
Posted: 21 January 2008 08:38 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2008-01-04

So… I’ve spoken to a couple of apartment rental agencies around barcelona, and one thing strikes me as odd.

In general, I’m told that up front costs are going to be:
one months rent in advance,
anything from 2 to 4 months rent security deposit (why oh why, its one here in the UK and thats fine)
and the last, which I am curious about, another month’s rent as the agency fee.

is that normal? (the one months rent as agency fee). It strikes me as a con simply because I’d be amazed if they don’t make a profit on the cost of the rental anyway.

Posted: 21 January 2008 08:58 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  760
Joined  2006-06-27

We are a sales company not a rentals company - but for comparison down here (Costa Blanca Alicante) there is a growing trend for landlords to ask for the same security deposits.

I think this is because many people have been defaulting and it takes 3- 5 months (depending on the conditions) to get people evicted - as usual the bad guys have wrecked it for everyone else.

Regarding agents fees - if you are paying to the landlord direct then the agents are not probably getting any more money on the deal.

In London the going rate is at least one months rent usually more especially with the VAT.

Signature 

Rob
Best Choice Villas sl
http://www.bcvillas.com
Selling legal property on the Costa Blanca

Posted: 21 January 2008 09:12 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2008-01-04

Yeah, I’ve rented for years here in the UK… I got the impression the agency gets the rent then passes on to the landlord in terms of who I spoke to.

Oh well, if thats how it is, then thats how it is.

Posted: 26 January 2008 03:28 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  58
Joined  2007-05-16

I rent in MAdrid and payed 1 month as fee for the agency and 6 months security deposit.

Posted: 26 January 2008 05:37 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2008-01-04

Thanks, that confirms what I’ve been told by others (especially about deposits varying from 1 to 6 months).

Posted: 27 January 2008 11:52 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2007-04-30

Maybe it’s different up around the Barcelona region but maybe it depends on the rental company.  The company in which I run a franchise, takes 1 months holding deposit that is returnable on vacating.  I have to admit that any more than this does seem rather bizarre.

Signature 

http://www.opirentals.com

Posted: 28 January 2008 02:23 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-06-27

Many owners/landlords are now not accepting 1 months rental because it is not adequate to cover the defaulters and in the Torrevieja area they require much more especially if its foreigners. A sad fact but a market statistic.

Signature 

Rob
Best Choice Villas sl

Posted: 29 January 2008 12:23 AM   [ # 7 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2007-04-30

Part of the problem is many rentals are private without contracts or rentals by people setting up business and not vetting the tenant as they should do, by that I mean with credit checks. Personally if a perspective tenant cannot show me proof of a credit, debit card or bank details then they are instantly refused a tenancy because we collect by direct debit. To date I have had no problems and have 60% tenancy rate of my properties for 6 month lets or longer. I agree that this itself wont stop a tenant defaulting if they so wish but not forgetting that the property owner or/and landlord have a responsibility themselves of who they take on as tenants and by ensuring they are adequately insured for renting their property so they will still receive payments if a tenant does default and not place undue costs onto the tenant. In many respects it goes deeper as there are many people coming here to Spain and setting up a business in Property Management and Lettings as a way of making a living but I’m not entirely convinced that these people or “businesses” are fully aware of the legalities of letting. In a lot of instances it is the tail wagging the dog!

Signature 

http://www.opirentals.com

Posted: 29 January 2008 01:28 PM   [ # 8 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-06-27

Paul - I totally agree the amateur non legal setups do cause problems - its the same with sales. The non contracted rentals also will have problems getting healthcare etc.

Signature 

Rob
Best Choice Villas sl

Posted: 19 February 2008 04:54 PM   [ # 9 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  28
Joined  2007-10-02

I’m in the Costa del Sol.

The norm here is:

1 months agency fee. (Some agencies charge half a month’s but get the other half from the owner).
1 or 2 months deposit.

The reason why they charge 1 month’s agency fee is so they can forget about the rental. They get the money from the tentant before he rents then it’s all up to the owner. This is done so as not to have to go after owners here to collect commission. As much as owners complain about bad tenants, there are bad owners too who don’t pay commission.

Signature 

Rentals Estepona - Apartments, Townhouses and Villas for rent in Estepona.
Satellite Sotogrande - Satellite Installations in Sotogrande and the Costa del Sol.