Best for family life in Spain?  Newbie asking too many questions sorry!
Posted: 24 September 2007 08:32 PM  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  306
Joined  2007-09-24

Hi All,

I am so pleased to have found this forum!

We have just decided that this is the last British winter we can face, and if all goes to plan we are intending to relocate next summer, probably to somewhere not too far from Torrevieja as the only place we have any contacts and know a bit about.  However we don’t want to live on the costa, probably a bit further in - I would like to find a nice village/small town with a good mix of Spanish and a few expats, a community where we can all live and learn, and my daughters (who will be 3 and 8 respectively) can go to a local school and learn Spanish quickly (but also not be the ONLY English kids).  Certainly dont want to end up in an expat ghetto / retirement village / golf course…  I work from home so require bulletproof broadband but not much else, and my husband can find work in any trade pretty fast (or work for me if he’s truly desperate!)  I want to research areas in much more detail but it would be so helpful if anyone could tell us from experience ‘XXXXXXXXX is really nice’ or ‘our kids love the school in YYYYYYYY’ etc etc….

I would really appreciate any advice from anyone who has settled a family in this region, about issues to consider, areas to look in to (we are coming out on a brief reccy in November, without the girls, and would love to visit some schools and areas).  Can anyone recommend a good agency for long term rentals?  We very much hope we would transmute into property customers within a year or so but want to check areas out thoroughly first (please feel free to PM me with commercial recommendations, I appreciate the limitations of this forum for self promotion), my ideal would be to find an agent who could actually show us some properties in November that would be due to be back on rental market in Aug/Sept… I have no idea if that’s possible?

We havent discussed the move with my eldest yet, she thinks the family Spanish lessons are just about better holiday fun 😊  But she is really intelligent and flexible, combined with having such an active and outdoor lifestyle (that I can feel starting to be curtailed already by the September change in British weather), she is a major factor in our wanting to make this move.  I’d love to hear from other parents who can tell us that the lifestyle changes for their family make all the stress and upheaval of the move itself worthwhile!

Thank you so much for this forum and looking forward to being a true expat soon 😊

Cazz xx

Signature 

http://www.costaconnected.com

Posted: 27 January 2008 07:10 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2008-01-23

I know these posts are a few months old but did either of you get any answer to these questions? I’d be certainly interested in knowing some of this myself

Posted: 27 January 2008 10:16 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2855
Joined  2007-10-19

waterman tell what you need to know and will fill you in jurdy

Posted: 29 January 2008 09:18 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2008-01-11

Hi cazz dont know how your move to spain is going but we are going to move to Velez Rubio when we have sold our house. We have been a few time as my husbands dad and family live there. Its a tipical spanish town with around 2000 expats there, we have 2 boys aged 9 and 6 and they will be going to one of the local spanish schools. My father in laws wife has a 7 yr old that already goes to school there and loves it.

Good Luck angie