Cellphone ... getting a contract plan
Posted: 06 February 2008 02:54 PM  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2008-01-15

I will be moving to Barcelona beginning of April. I am relocating from work to be based out of there. My employer has no office in Spain and I will work as home-office. I will have to get things going by myself.

One of my concern is my cellphone. As I am moving from Canada I wont be using my Canadian number.

Do I need a NIE to get a cellphone contract plan? NOT pay as you go. As NIE will take a few weeks I hope I won’t need one.

Any tips will be very much appreciated.

Posted: 06 February 2008 06:59 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2855
Joined  2007-10-19

no you need a bank account no to get a phone with your passport and you no problem
jurdy

Posted: 07 February 2008 10:47 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Actually, in my experience, yes, you’ll need an NIE (as a Canadian) to get a contract phone. I’d highly suggest getting Vonage before you leave though, so you can have both a Canadian and Spanish phone number on the same line. It’s awesome.

See more about Vonage and cheap calls here.

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 08 February 2008 02:14 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2855
Joined  2007-10-19

think that a bill phone you need the NIE but top up phone ou dont need it just address and bank account
but when i in with tTelefoince and Movistar i will ask
some one will get you a cell phone
jurdy

Posted: 08 February 2008 10:37 AM   [ # 4 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2008-01-15

My wife is Italian. Will she be able to get a cellphone contract plan with an Italian passport in Spain or we will still need an NIE. Its just the matter of time. I see that from when we apply for the NIE to the time we get it will take almost 2 months. Its too long to be in a pay as you go.

Any suggestions from anyone? I will need a mobile phone as my work requires me to be traveling constantly.

Thanks