Community of Owners AGM - can this be held in English?
Posted: 06 March 2008 02:41 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2008-03-05

As our Community is predominately English-speaking, our AGM has been held in English with translators for other languages.  The Minutes have been recorded in English and translated into Spanish for the Official Minute Book.

However, a Spanish Owner is insisting the meeting is held in Spanish and the Minutes recorded in Spanish.  This means that, for example, our Secretary cannot present a report as he is not a Spanish-speaker.

The Spanish Owner states that Spanish Law requires that Spanish is used - there seems nothing about this in the Law of Horizontal Property.

Can anyone advise?

Posted: 06 March 2008 06:50 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  22
Joined  2007-01-19

Hi
As far as I am aware, if the community has decided to hold the meeting in Chinese, then Chinese it is, as long as there is a translator present for any Spanish residents. And as long as the minutes are written up in Spanish. It is a community decision. If the Spanish resident wants to produce evidence to the contrary, then it is up to him to find it. But I think the law was written keeping in mind that there would be communities where nobody speaks Spanish. It would be a real mockery if they were forced to hold the meeting in a language that none understood! No. You let your Spanish neighbour do the hard, fruitless labour of finding the proof, but meanwhile, please make sure there is a translator present at the meetings, and that all official postings and minutes are also well translated. These considerations are legally binding.
Algrif

Posted: 08 March 2008 05:33 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2008-03-08

I agree, legally at least, with the above reply.

But I have to say culturally: why on earth does your community not learn the language of our country here and then have your meetings in Spanish…...say in one years time?