Learning Spanish as quickly as possible
Posted: 03 February 2008 09:35 PM  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2008-01-17

Hi, on the 14th of February we are moving to the andalucia region.  I am keen to learn spanish as quickly as possible.

I have ordered the rosetta stone learn spanish software, i have several books etc but i am interested if anyone who is bilingual in this region would be interested in teaching me spanish once or twice a week.

If anyone is interested or if you have any advice on how to learn spanish as quickly as possible then please post in this topic.

Also let me know how much you would charge for teaching me and my partner.

Thanks

Jamie and Vicki

Posted: 08 March 2008 04:07 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  37
Joined  2008-03-08

We learnt by having a teacher in a language school one on two, twice a week. You do need someone who can explain it all to you if you want to read and write it as well as speak it. 
For speaking, you often see adverts for conversational spanish in local papers, or go into spanish bars - you’ll usually find some young people who want to improve their english, so you speak spanish and they speak english….or try an ad at the local language school.

Signature 

http://www.spanishtownhouseforsale.piczo.com

Posted: 08 March 2008 06:40 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2008-03-08

One other tip:

Do not. I repeat, do not, under any circumstances get or use a satellite disch/digibox to enable you to watch Uk or other English language TV. I’m not joking about this at all.

Sit and force yourselves to watch Spanish language TV every night, via an ordinary aerial.

I can guarantee two things as a result:

1. You will hate it for a while, but every day you will learn one or two more words, as well as actually beginning to understand the culture of the country and it’s people that you are planning to be an immigrant into.

2. You will within one year be a reasonably fluent speaker of Spanish.

The very biggest mistake that many many people make is to immerse themselves with English friends, go to English bars, watch English TV…...and then moan about how difficult it is to learn a reasonable level of Spanish.
They’ve never in reality made any serious or concerted attempt to integrate into Spanish culture and language whatsoever.
That’s a huge shame for them, and makes me feel ashamed too.

‹‹ breaking a lease      Health, gp’s etc ››