Wi-Fi zones / where to start in Spain
Posted: 25 February 2008 10:49 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2008-02-25

Hi all,
First-time user here; I’ve been reading through the forum for information and I’ll finally start a topic…

I’m planning to move to Spain in about April of this year, and my research has, thus far, not yielded a decision on where to begin
my journey.  I’m a U.S. citizen working as a contractor through a U.S. company (via Internet) so employment is not an issue in
Spain.  Also, I don’t have any property ownership issues to deal with when I depart the States; essentially I’m free to start where
I want to start and explore that region, possibly as a place for the future too. I understand that I will, at least in principle, be
restricted to 90 days in Spain initially, which is why I want to be more selective about the area in which I choose to start.

At this point, I am primarily considering the south-west coast and/or Seville, the north (Asturias or Galicia), or the northern coast
above Barcelona.  I hear positive things about all of these areas, which makes the decision that much more difficult.  On one
hand, the south lures me to the traditional “Spanish” things that one might imagine of Spain, yet I’ve read about the difficulty in
finding parts of the coast which are not considerably over-developed.  On the other hand, the north: more green and peaceful
and untouched, but also a bit more rugged and lacking in some services?  Then the north-east coast, with pockets of undeveloped
coastline and beautiful beaches, but perhaps more difficult to adjust to the Catalan language?

I consider myself rather independent; I lived 2 years in rural Japan and 6 months in various parts of South America.  So, I don’t
necessarily need a large expat crowd to feel “at home”.  However, some expats from various countries would be a *huge* bonus,
as I need social diversion as much as anybody, and my Spanish is definitely not good enough to blend in with locals.  In either
case, I am not necessarily set on the large-city scene or the countryside scene; either could be pleasant but I would like to find
some agreeable blend between the two (i.e. smaller or mid-size city with quiet/peaceful surrounding areas).

Finally, I am seeking specific advice on Wi-Fi internet connectivity in regions of Spain.  My job involves considerable always-on
connectivity, so without wireless or ADSL connection, it’s not really practical for me to live/work in Spain for 3 months or more.
Apparently Wi-Fi is quickly becoming all of the rage in Spain, however I’ve heard that it’s considerably less common in Galicia
and the north… true or false?  And in the south, or north of Barcelona?  Needless to say, I am willing to pay for such services
(i.e.
ADSL at an apartment or house), but my travels in South America proved that some areas/cities are far more networked than
others, and I imagine Spain is similar in that respect.

Thanks in advance for any help…

Posted: 08 March 2008 03:55 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  27
Joined  2006-09-15

Don’t know if its what you are looking for but it might be helpful.

http://www.jiwire.com/
http://www.jiwire.com/hot-spot-directory-browse-by-state.htm?country_id=200&provider_id=0

Posted: 08 March 2008 08:27 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2855
Joined  2007-10-19

the main citys in spain have ADSL / Wifi and with
few the cell copany offterig G3 internet you can be alwas on line , and “dsl on a box” coming soon to spain due telfoinca slow roll out in rual areas you have no problem with get online
jurdy