< 1 2
2 of 2
For Those Americans who miss home?????
Posted: 10 March 2008 11:09 PM   [ # 16 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  32
Joined  2006-07-04

Yeah it seems that rednecks can be found anywhere… heh.
Just yesterday we went to visit with one of my husband’s relatives. Haven’t seen him in a long time because for the past few years he’s been living in London mopping floors where he says he can get more retirement money. He’s a basque radical so I always have to bite my tongue when I’m around him anyway because he thinks human civilization began in the Basque Country and won’t have it any other way. Anyway, I ask him how his English is coming along living in London and he brings up American English and British English. He tells me ?Americans have so much RRRRRRRRRR! They don’t say car they say caRRRRRRRRRRRRR! British people say ?Cah… cah? and then says to me ?British English sounds so much better, don’t you think??  So, O.K. You’re asking me to agree with you that my accent is ugly. How does it occur to people to ask these things? What do you want me to say? I felt like saying ?What if I looked at your basque mullet and told you better hair can be found on a St. Bernard. Would you agree with me? You speak English like a caveman anyway and probably wouldn’t know the difference between British and American English beyond the RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRrrr!?

Posted: 10 March 2008 11:52 PM   [ # 17 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  43
Joined  2008-02-11

Live and let live when it’s not worth getting in someone’s face.

Ask him to go to Newcastle and listen to the English spoken by a Geordie and see how the R and other consonants and vowels are twisted…

he he he

😊

Posted: 17 April 2008 04:06 PM   [ # 18 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2008-04-16

Hi Just came across this thread and thought I’d comment. Im English, so in a weird kinda way I feel neutral to this and not biased towards The States or Europe!! Yankeegirl, you mentioned about Europeans being negative towards the US and not having a very positive attitude towards them. Its simple really and blatenly obvious! Its the war on Iraq/Afghanistan. Regardless of the American peoples personal opinions….Europeans (and the rest of the world) are so against this particular war and what it stands for!! Its a pointless war…something to do with Bush and his oil and making him richer….or something
Im mid 20s now and even over my fairly short lifetime, I have personally seen the change of attitude towards your nation and your people. 10 years ago it was a novelty to meet and American person, now people want to run away!! When it comes to Americans, peoples tolerance is at an all time low. And even in Britain, people tried to stay positive but when their 18 year old babies are being flown home in coffins after being killed by American “friendly fire” YET AGAIN!! You cant blame them and you have to see it from their mothers point of view!!
As easy as it is to say “dont take it personally”, Americans will and no one can blame them for it. But thats the way it is. Its a shame that Britains friendship with America has been shattered, over stupid oil and a stupid little president….but things would have to change big time to improve peoples opinions now!!
Keeping guns in the home, weird strangle cults, over the top religion, corrupt government, Britney Spears, Columbine, mass shootings, crazy brit-killing soldiers…...I could go on. But please, try and see it from the rest of the worlds point of view. xxx

Posted: 17 April 2008 07:44 PM   [ # 19 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  115
Joined  2008-04-10

Whoops!

Signature 

A word is dead when it is said, some say.  I say it just begins to live that day.
-Emily Dickinson

Posted: 17 April 2008 07:53 PM   [ # 20 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  115
Joined  2008-04-10

I remember back in 2003 when the war began, I was in my first year of college.  All of a sudden CGT signs started appearing all over campus saying “Yankees GO HOME!”  I immediately complained to the administration on the grounds that I was a paying student and didn’t need the discrimination.  The next day the signs were down.

I took a lot of flak for not striking with the other students agaisnt the war.  I have two brothers in the Air Force and countless cousins in the Army.  Even though I didn’t agree with the war, I had to support my family.

I don’t agree with the blanket statement that Europeans are hostile towards Americans.  Europeans don’t like the American Administration or the effect that it has had on their countries and economies in the last years.  This is like saying Americans are hostile towards Germans or Russians because of past wars.  Come on already!!!

On a one to one level there is no problem.  In fact, most of my friends and coworkers forget the fact that I’m a southern belle, despite the blond hair, blue eyes and white as a fish skin.  I speak Spanish fluently, I hang out with them and do things like them and I’m just another one of the gang.

Yes, they tend to ask impertinent questions about the US, but think it through- they’re just trying to connect with you or impress you by how much they know about your country.

Think what your American friends ask you when you return for a visit: So do y’all eat a lot of tacos over there?  I bet y’all get tired of always wearing flamenco dresses?  People are ignorant about cultures they don’t know.

Hey and whoever is making comments about being a redneck- cut it out.  I’m born and bred in Dixie and proud of it!  Best place on earth after Andalusia

Signature 

A word is dead when it is said, some say.  I say it just begins to live that day.
-Emily Dickinson

< 1 2
2 of 2
‹‹ Child Benefit      ?Feliz a?o nuevo 2008! ››