Yanque in need of advice
Posted: 10 March 2008 10:19 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2008-03-10

Hello all, I’m a college student in Texas finishing up my uni studies this May. I’ve taken many Spanish classes and plan on teaching bilingual education here in my home town of Austin, TX. My spanish isn’t quiet fluent enough yet, however, so I think the best thing for me would be to spend a few months in Spain.
I was wondering if anyone could reccommend the most economical way of doing this. Should I try to find a cheap studio apartment or maybe rough it in a hostel?
I don’t have too much money to spend and the American dollar is so pathetic right now it wouldn’t matter if I did.
I don’t have a specific area in mind. I was thinking either Madrid, Seville, Toledo, Granada, Malaga, or Valencia. Which area is the least expensive?
If anyone knows of some decent student housing, room rentals, anything please let me know.

Thanks,

Chris

Posted: 10 March 2008 03:56 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2008-03-10

Hello I?m Daviz from Madrid (Spain)

If you have a problem You can answer me. I would like that you teach me the USA culture. I?m improving my english. Two years ago I was in Ireland but I didn?t study jaja I was travel an the party all times. Only want friendly mail. Mail .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

The most expensive cities of Spain are Madrid, Barcelona, Bilbao Valencia y Pamplona but there aren?t a big different wich the rest of the country. In Madrid a caffe cost 1.40 ? more and less and the rent of flat during one month for one person around 800 ? but in Madrid depending of the area if you go to the Salamanca district is very expensive 2000? or more because in Spain la people prefer buy them house. The better is that you go wich a spanish students in the same flat and you can improve your spanish.

Posted: 13 March 2008 02:28 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  303
Joined  2006-03-16

Granada is much cheaper than Madrid and somewhat cheaper than Seville and Malaga - don’t know Toledo or Valencia, sorry.  But if you are really short of cash there are beautiful smaller cities - Jaen is great, so are Almeria, Cadiz, Jerez, Murcia, anywhere in Extremadura, Asturias, Cantabria - all these places have a cost of living about half of Madrid, I reckon, especially as transport costs will be nil if you can just walk about.  There are some smaller cities which are expensive though - San Sebastian and Salamanca spring to mind.  Everywhere is cheaper than London or NYC, though - don’t know about Texas.

Signature 

Martin, Scotland and the Alpujarra.  http://www.casasierra.blogspot.com

Posted: 13 March 2008 02:54 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2008-03-10

Sorry but Granada is not more cheaper than Madrid. Andalucia is more expensive. Madrid is the capital of Spain and all capital of the world are more cheap than the rest of cities. If you go to disco in Madrid you can pay 9 ? 10 ? for a rum glass. In Malaga you can pay 4 ? 5. In Madrid if the house is very cheap and Sansebastian, Barcelona, Valencia or Mallorca. I have a friend that He went to live a Granada becouse it is most relax and most expensives than Madrid.

Posted: 13 March 2008 03:41 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  303
Joined  2006-03-16
Daviz - 13 March 2008 02:54 PM

Sorry but Granada is not more cheaper than Madrid. Andalucia is more expensive. Madrid is the capital of Spain and all capital of the world are more cheap than the rest of cities. If you go to disco in Madrid you can pay 9 ? 10 ? for a rum glass. In Malaga you can pay 4 ? 5. In Madrid if the house is very cheap and Sansebastian, Barcelona, Valencia or Mallorca. I have a friend that He went to live a Granada becouse it is most relax and most expensives than Madrid.

Hombre, lo que dices no tiene sentido.  Estoy convencido que te cuesta mas vivir en la capital de cada pais, con la posible excepcion de Alemana.  Y dices que Andalucia es mas cara que Madrid, pero entonces que la cubata vale el medio en Malaga que en Madrid. Que quires decir?

Signature 

Martin, Scotland and the Alpujarra.  http://www.casasierra.blogspot.com

Posted: 13 March 2008 04:00 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2008-03-10

sorry queria decir que Madrid es capital y es mas cara he confundido adjetivos. Por supuesto Andalucia es mas barata.

Posted: 13 March 2008 09:31 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Hahaha :D

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.