1 of 2
Purchasing a Lexus used car from USA
Posted: 21 March 2008 10:58 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2008-03-21

Hi

Can anyone help me?  As second hand cars are very expensive to buy in Spain, I have been looking at other avenues.  I have been in touch with a Lexus car dealer in Florida, who told me there was no problem in exporting to Spain.  I have also been in touch with a shipping company who deliver cars from Miami to Valencia every week.  Does anyone know whether the Lexus cars conform to EU standards?  Would it be easier to register it in Spain, as it is classed as a Japanese car and not an American?

Look forward to hearing from anyone.

bettyboo

Posted: 21 March 2008 11:04 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2855
Joined  2007-10-19

If you?re an American, importing a car can be a good idea, since buying a car in Spain carries a heavy tax. The cost of importing from the USA is roughly 4000? (for an estimate, try Excess Baggage Co. ). Call your Spanish Embassy?the car may need modifications to meet European requirements. You will want to look into registering and insuring your car with a Spanish company.

http://www.spainexpat.com/spain/information/importing_cars_bringing_your_car_to_spain/

Posted: 21 March 2008 11:15 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2008-03-21

Hi Thanks for your speedy reply.  My wife and I are residence in the Alicante region, and have been now for almost six years.  We found the Lexus dealer on the internet and contacted him first.  We have had a quote from a shipping company from Miami to Valencia for $1700, which I didn’t think was to costly.  So it really all stems on how much it would cost when the car arrived in Spain.  We do know some spanish garages in our area who will do car registrations for cars coming from the UK, but don’t know as yet whether this would apply to cars from America.

Bettyboo

Posted: 22 March 2008 02:27 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  44
Joined  2007-08-12

The spec between a US and an EU car are quite different and I think you will find the cost of conversion will be too great.

John

Posted: 22 March 2008 05:13 AM   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-19
scubakid - 22 March 2008 02:27 AM

The spec between a US and an EU car are quite different and I think you will find the cost of conversion will be too great.

John

yes john and i been look up the net on that and can found what sould bbe printed here

what is the road tax here in spain since that change it last year , some cc are ltrs , think more money for road taxs can some fine it please and put it here
thanks

Posted: 22 March 2008 01:48 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2008-03-21

Hi   Many thanks for your comments.  I suppose that I will just have to try a Left Hand Drive website within Europe.  At least then it should comply with the EU standards.  It’s just ashame that you can buy cars in America so cheaply, and yet the same car in Europe is twice the price.

Thanks once again.

Bettyboo

Posted: 22 March 2008 03:31 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2008-02-23

Many of our clients have for whom we have changed plates to Spanish have imported cars from other EU countries and have saved some money on the purchase price be it new or second hand (Lithuania, Belgium, Germany can be good). One thing to consider is that if you are signed onto the pardon you will need to pay import (emissions tax) this can vary greatly depending on the model. Once you have a short list contact us if you like and we will happily give you an idea on these prices. The advantage of importing from Europe over England is that the cars are already LHD so you will not need to modify headlights.

http://www.motoringmattersspain.com
info@motoringmatters

Signature 

MOTORING MATTERS
.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Posted: 22 March 2008 08:43 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-19

well he did ask about importing a car from a Lexus car dealer in Florida , so dose any one know about it as i have email few place is the usa about this ,

i found this car 2006 lexus IS 250 Auto Engine: 2.5L 6 cyl Fuel Injection , $34,995 walk it off the lot with out motor warranty and tags $ 31,000 think i geyt for $30,000 = 19,113.75 EUR shipping add The cost of importing from the USA is roughly 4000? and shipping 2,500? about 25,613? and modifications to meet European requirements 2000? add that aswell 27,613? still not bad for a car in the usa This is only a guestamate (A guest how much this would cost? )
now i dont know what import and Duty Fee are so please NO QUOTING ME HERE

car was found in a dealer in Naples Florida and deal was done on 30,000 dollers by email ( old mate my when i lived in the Usa )
jurdy

Posted: 22 March 2008 10:31 PM   [ # 8 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2008-03-21

Hi Jurdyr

Thanks for your email.  That gives me a bit of encouragement now, that it might just be possible to export from Florida.  We had been in contact with a dealer in Fort Myers, not too far away from Naples.  So basically all I need to know now is what the fees will be once the car arrives in Spain.

Many thanks for your help.

Posted: 23 March 2008 12:13 AM   [ # 9 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-19

well i give the address of the of the dealer in Naples if you want , but i could be way out with my prices there , so dont Quote me there , do have problem with some off the area in EU with there road tax are you tax on size off cc not kmpl Kilometers Per Liter , as some feul as better then outhers as would be diesel , Diesel Emissions are lot safe then petrol and you get more out diesel aswell in miles are km .................. Now i know it still adds to the gree house we all should be on ..... what ever

but cars are so nice ....mmmmm pimp my car HA HA HA

Posted: 23 March 2008 05:48 PM   [ # 10 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2008-02-23

Cost involved in Spain would be:

?  The Cost of your ITV/engineers report and European conformity certificate. If the vehicle does not conform to European standards it may need to undergo homologation to be type approved and have necessary works done as wells as change your headlights (can go into the thousands).
?  Local road tax rates (varies depending on vehicle and area)
?  Import tax (worked out by a percentage of how much c02 the vehicle produces).
?  Registration cost with trafico.
?  Cost of new plates.
?  Your insurance.

Signature 

MOTORING MATTERS

Posted: 23 March 2008 06:41 PM   [ # 11 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-19

well be determined by the CO2 emission rating off the car , now aday most car emission are very low , i know my Your insurance is 670 euros a year and i can diver any think from car to jeeps old are new hight power are low and fully covered ( as my dad say you fack with out Your insurance but road tax you get away with
Import tax that what we trying to fine out , would be a web site that you can calcuat you cost ? worked out by a percentage of how much c02 the vehicle produces , again most car emission are very low and in Usa that is happen with Japanese been shipped to usa are made there aswell
Cost of new plates that 50 euros get printed up
Local road tax rates (varies depending on vehicle and area)  dont know as my company i work for pay it
jurdy

Posted: 23 March 2008 09:19 PM   [ # 12 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2008-03-21

Hi

Many thanks for all your comments.

I was just wondering about the headlights, would they have to be changed?  Lexus cars from the States have got the same headlights as we have in Spain.  As long as the indicators are orange front and rear it shouldn’t be a problem.  We live in the Alicante region where the road tax isn’t too high.

Posted: 23 March 2008 10:39 PM   [ # 13 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-19

you have no problems with getting back tail lights as you boy races kit the kas cars out the them bettyboo who the dealer in Fort Myers and where are that ?
spent lot time in Naples Fort Myers Marco and i 75 was main road i used alot to Fort Lauderdale and Miami
love the place and move back again some day
jurdy

Posted: 24 March 2008 10:53 AM   [ # 14 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2008-03-06

My wife imported an american windstar 3.8 l from England. The previous owner had imported it into England and it was bought there, we lived near an US air base, The cost of registering in Spain was negligible (about 450 euros including trafico,ITV and plates) but we did it 4 years ago.We did not have to pay import duty as the car was ours in the UK, albeit it was bought about 10 days before emigrating here. The lights only needed to be adjusted slightly. The annual sumar is 112euros. The car is now 13 years old. I don’t know if this information is any use to you now. To pass the ITV we needed to take the U Haul tow bar off and change the added fog light from the right to the left.

Posted: 10 April 2008 11:16 PM   [ # 15 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2008-02-23

As kind of previously mentioned you will need to change the plates immediately (Assuming you want to be able to use it immediately) as you will find it extremely impossible to insure the car on American Plates.  And even if you manage to find someone that will insure it you will probably pay through the nose for it.

I have often looked at what it would the rough premium a customer would pay on Spanish plates compared to there UK plates and its a fair difference.

Signature 

MSC Insure number 1 for motor and house insurance for expats in Spain

1 2 > 
1 of 2
‹‹ cruz campo      British Schools ››