Moving to Alicante in September
Posted: 24 March 2008 01:34 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2008-03-13

My husband is danish and I am american. We now live in Denmark and are planing a trip to Alicante in April. The trip is provided by a Polaris agent. We have always wanted to retire to a warmer climate. We don’t speak spanish, but have started taking lessions. Between the both of us we have traveled to over 20 countries. Is there any advise anyone can give us on making the move to spain. My husband is a very active and healthy 66 year old. I am a former marathon runner and still in the best of health at 54 years. We would appreciate all comments (negative or positive).

Thanks

Posted: 24 March 2008 03:25 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  760
Joined  2006-06-27

Hi Folks, What sort of comments are you looking for ? Its a big topic! Obviously you have full EU rights via your Danish nationality so you dont have any Visa issues etc. You will of course need NIEs (to buy property) and later on Residencia certificates, padron etc. These are well documented in other sections.

I assume, as you mention your good health, that perhaps your biggest decision is location. If you want to maintain a fit and healthy lifestyle - perhaps you want easy access to golf, walking swimming or maybe other sport facilities. I would also guess that you also want an active social life so need a property that will have plenty of neighbours (some areas can be rather UN populated for most of the year)

So I recommend that you look at plenty of areas to make sure that you find what is going to suit your lifestyle and budget. Make sure you understand the community fees that you will be liable for if you go for a large development that needs a lot of maintenance and upkeep.

I would also advise being very careful if you look at off plan developments - due to the slow down in sales - these projects may finish later than planned or worst case scenario not be finished! There are plenty of new ready now options that are risk free.

Good luck - enjoy your searching!

Signature 

Rob
Best Choice Villas sl
http://www.bcvillas.com
Selling legal property on the Costa Blanca

Posted: 24 March 2008 04:49 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2855
Joined  2007-10-19

well nice to see you making the move down here , as rob posted lot good points so stick by them and you be ok down here as you say you in to your “active and healthy” , both will love it here as some sundays i lock the door and just walk miles r kilometers down by the beachs and track in the hills with money in my pocket to get meal and few drinks with few euros to get back home . The pool think not real for me and love be on the move , up few year ago was in to mountain biking(long story ) and still in water sports there lot to do here from ,
down load Google earth and you can see the area from the sky and see photos off the place