< 1 2
2 of 2
Purchasing a Lexus used car from USA
Posted: 20 April 2008 03:23 PM   [ # 16 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2855
Joined  2007-10-19

Usa is left hand Driver so are we in Spain ... this is spain ex pat forum think you need Ireland and Uk Used car . ” cheap if it is deirect import from Japan”. but import dutys are lot hight now ....
jurdy

Posted: 20 April 2008 11:14 PM   [ # 17 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

So you’re saying that if I am willing to deal with the hassle of a right hand drive car, I can import a RHD Lexus from Japan…

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 21 April 2008 12:17 AM   [ # 18 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

I guess I can see why someone might be a high end car for cheap as an import from Japan, but the used cars? There’s a lot of paperwork you need to go through to legalize them.

I don’t think it’s just “clinging” to LHD cars, it’s the side of the road that we drive on. It’s about safety.

By the way, this forum isn’t for all Spanish people, it’s for expats (that’s why we’re communicating in English).

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 21 April 2008 11:45 AM   [ # 19 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2007-10-01

Hi

I would have a look at purchasing a car from Germany.

This is a lot nearer.

Car will have EU c of c from the off.

Paperwork is minimal (still need to pay import duty, Extended ITV test, Engineers report, Purchase Tax).

I bought a MX5 from Germany, saved quite a bit.

Good thing no modifications were needed to car at all & you can drive it from germany easily and still have warranty cover if anything on car breaks.

Robin…

Posted: 21 April 2008 01:35 PM   [ # 20 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2855
Joined  2007-10-19

16,160 Kms , Cc3456 cc’s Trim/Leather Colour   Olive Year   2006 Fuel Type   PetrolBody Type   SaloonTrans.  Automatic Gears   A

can you price that car please got Irish uk japanies and usa price please

Posted: 21 April 2008 01:35 PM   [ # 21 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Joined  2007-10-01

I dont disagree cars are cheaper RHD.

When I lived in UK I imported 4 cars directly from Japan. (including a eunos)

However the problem is for Spain it really does need to be LHD.

Robin..

Posted: 21 April 2008 03:02 PM   [ # 22 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Joined  2007-10-01

Its not the fact the Spanish or I hate RHD.

Just why would they buy one. ?

All of EU except UK is LHD.

If you drive a car with the steering wheel on the wrong side you do have less visibility.

Therefore the risk of having an accident is a lot higher.

I sold my RHD mx5 to buy a LHD one when I moved to Spain.

Yes it cost more but it is cheaper to insure, easier to get repaired if it went wrong, safer to drive.

Also if ever I come to sell it, it will be much easier to sell here.

There is NO status to be gained in Europe for having the steering wheel on the wrong side, EU is not America.

Robin…

Posted: 03 May 2008 07:04 PM   [ # 23 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2008-05-03

It’s just not practical to own a RHD in Spain. You can do it but I see no reason to go down that route….how are you going to flog it off in the end?? Travel to the UK? Flogging off a car is hard enough, especially if you have to find a person that is going to move to England to live from Spain. It’s not impossible (there’s always ebay) and doesn’t mean it can’t or shouldn’t be done…I just find it impractical and more trouble than it’s worth. There has to be a financial gain at the end of the day to justify it….or minimal loss.

Importation from outside of the EU also has added costs and added headaches. If you do it yourself you have the travel costs, local paper work worries in the coutry of departure, shipping paper work/costs, customs exit and entry costs (for overseas), registration costs and paper work, towing costs to the ITV (MOT equivalent) from the port of entry after you have to have a “perrito” (qualified licenced engineer) to inspect your vehicle to help you bring it up to European/Spanish spec (even if it comes from the UK, a “perrito” has to give you the “ficha tecnica” or it’s official technical papers, translated,  for it’s registration, insurance, road tax and following ITV) You also have to pay a protectionist “equalizing value tax” levied on the value of the vehicle which has been introduced to deter importations from outside of the EU…. temporary plates also come to mind while waiting for the official plates…

I’ve looked into it only a little bit ( I will eventually be importing a classic muscle car in the future) and stumbled upon info.  (no link…sorry.)  that mentioned that, in the end, costs from importing from the US can run as high as 50% of the value of the vehicle…pending on the vehicle.  In the end there has to be a financial gain to warrent the effort and not all cars will give you a gain. I’m no way an expert on the issue but I’ve come out with the impression that detailed research and calculations on a specific model should be done before getting too excited about the great deals you can get in the US.

Posted: 30 January 2009 11:28 AM   [ # 24 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2009-01-30

Hello to all members of the Forum. This is Some. Are you looking for any deatils regarding cars. Then we are here to provide you details on them For details on them please visit us.
_______
nancy143

[link edited - please put company links in your signature]

Posted: 10 August 2009 08:27 PM   [ # 25 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2009-08-10

I moved from New york to Spain and imported my car without any problem and without paying any matriculation or importation tax. I used a company called Car Import in Spain . They were A1 and carried out the whole process from beginning to end. I would reccoment them to anyone bringing a vehicle from the USA . Based in the Barcelona and Alicante area I think.

< 1 2
2 of 2
‹‹ cruz campo      British Schools ››