Setting up in Spain after graduating from University—
Posted: 22 April 2008 05:17 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2008-04-19

I’m currently an American high school student who is entertaining the idea of going to college in Spain (St. Louis University Madrid, to be exact,) and I’m wondering if anyone would recommend applying.

I’d really like to move to Spain, so eventually relocating is my ultimate goal, would it be advisable to attend university there for the sake of “setting up shop” (i.e., networking, making friends, possibly finding a national to marry—heh,—job prospecting, etc. etc) ?

This may seem sort of off the handle but college is really the first big decision that I’ve had to make and I want to do this right. It is pretty influential, after all :D

Thanks in advance!

Posted: 23 April 2008 01:52 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Hey Octavio. It sounds like you have a plan - a good one. Roll with it, see what happens. It’s a big decision, but don’t neglect the importance of making mistakes either… not that moving to Spain is a mistake. 😉

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 23 April 2008 07:17 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  115
Joined  2008-04-10

Hi!  I’m an American who ended up doing high school and university here.  From my own experience, I would recommend you skip the big city and the private university. 

I went to public high school in Sevilla and public University in M?laga and those were some of the best decisions I ever made.

Word to the wise- you’re coming from a culture where your entire future hangs on your college education.  In Spain it’s not like that- only 10% of the population has ever attended or graduated from college.  Public universities charge a lot less, have reserved spots for foreigners and have excellent professors.  Btw, I have never been asked to show proof of my Diploma, and I’ve worked in three jobs that required college level education.

To sign up, you need to take the college entry exam (not sure which one it would be for you- I took Selectividad, but I came from a Spanish high school) and then register at the beginning of July.  You will have to be present to register.

There are scholarships called Becas that can end up paying for all your tuition plus books, room and board.  The becas are run by the Ministry of Education, and there is a certain amount set aside for foreigners, just ask for the forms when you sign up.  Even if you don’t get a beca, you’ll only pay about 800? a year for tuition.

People normally don’t stay in dorms when they go to college here as most schools don’t have dorms.  A different and fun option is to call the different ads for roommates you’ll see around campus.  A good price outside of Madrid and Barcelona is about 150-200? a month for a room.  Plan on about 100? a month for food if it’s just you.

With a student’s visa you’ll be allowed to work 20 hours a week.  That will also take care of your social security, which means you won’t need private insurance.  Just go by your local Social Security office before you start looking for a job and sign up for your card.

You will meet so many international students if you decide to go to a public university.  There is an excellent Erasmus program all throughout Europe.  Also with the long holidays, you’ll have plenty of time for travel.

Remember that exams are only one per class here (that means one exam per semester or year- no pop quizzes, no tests, no papers, etc.), so you need to keep up with your individual studies every day if you plan to pass.  Classes are normally in a lecture format and not very interactive- you’ll need to write a ton of notes or get a note buddy because the recommended books don’t always help.

Anyway, good luck and don’t be so serious.  Spain is so much fun when you’re a student!!!

Signature 

A word is dead when it is said, some say.  I say it just begins to live that day.
-Emily Dickinson

Posted: 23 April 2008 10:52 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2008-04-19
The Expatriator - 23 April 2008 01:52 AM

Hey Octavio. It sounds like you have a plan - a good one. Roll with it, see what happens. It’s a big decision, but don’t neglect the importance of making mistakes either… not that moving to Spain is a mistake. 😉

haha, thanks. it’s nice to get some positive feedback. most times i just get the “WHAAAAT? SPAIN?” ;D

Posted: 23 April 2008 10:54 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2008-04-19
rubi995 - 23 April 2008 07:17 PM

Hi!  I’m an American who ended up doing high school and university here.  From my own experience, I would recommend you skip the big city and the private university. 
—-
Anyway, good luck and don’t be so serious.  Spain is so much fun when you’re a student!!!

Wow, I can’t say thanks enough for this info. I had no idea that this was even an option for me, and it’s definitely something that I’m going to look into further.

You wouldn’t happen to have a screenname (Yahoo, AIM, MSN, Skype—either one, I’ve got them all ;D) or email address that I can reach you at, would you? You’re an invaluable resource to me since you are American and have obviously experienced all of this first hand.