advice wanted on moving from Toronto to Spain
Posted: 28 April 2008 12:58 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2007-07-29

Hi,

My family is moving from Toronto to Bilbao (Basque) this September.
We would like to bring a lot of books and some personal stuff with us and so we need international movers who provide shipping either by sea (in containers) or by air.
Any information from people with experience in these things would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Olga

Posted: 28 April 2008 02:13 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  36
Joined  2007-11-13

Hi,
I used a Norwegian international mover, his name is Tore Line and it worked well for me. Take a look at T-Line

Best regards from Spain
Jonny

Signature 

Jonny Erixon

Posted: 30 April 2008 06:15 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2007-07-29

Thanks a lot, Jonny.

Unfortunately the Tore Line works between Scandinavia and Spain.
Perhaps your friends in Spain know any Canada <-> Spain mover :roll: ??

Thanks   ,
Olga

Posted: 30 April 2008 08:02 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  36
Joined  2007-11-13

Hi Olga,
He works all over the world, he have a lot of clients overseas, just send him a mail.
Best regards,
Jonny

Signature 

Jonny Erixon

Posted: 03 May 2008 04:59 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2008-05-03

Howdy olgad,

I’ve not done any shipping from Canada to Spain but I have moved around a bit from England to Spain as well as in and around Spain. I guess shipping is more related to your budget but I personally tend to lean more towards the path of least resistance/headaches. To eliminate the headache factor I’d personally go air cargo, maybe with Air Canada Cargo ? I’ve never found air cargo to be too expensive (in other long distance moves) for the elimination of headaches. It is worth mentioning that Bilbao has it’s own airport ~30 minutes from Bilbao city centre. I usually do flights from Spain to England and England to Calgary-Vancouver. I have done Vancouver-Calgary to Frankfurt and then to Madrid with an internal flight to Bilbao…. with a bit of research I figure you’ll find an “economic” way of getting it through. Canada Post??

Shipping by sea from Canada?... No idea (I’ve only looked into it once) but it might be worth mentioning that"P & O Ferries”(http://www.poferries.com/tourist/content/pages/template/routes_routes.htm) and “Brittany Ferries” (http://www.brittany-ferries.com/) operate from Portsmouth to Bilbao and Brittany Ferries operate from Plymouth to Santander   (~2 hours travel by car to Bilbao)... I assume that the research path for sea cargo more logical from Canada to South England to Spain other than Canada straight to Spain….?

Last of all, I’ve learned, throughout the years, that the “cheap route”  often turns out to be a juggling act in an attempt to save “a few dollars” but often is accompanied with a bucket load of headaches,  then the unplanned shelling out of money only in trying to make it work out.  Now I do “direct” first and then worry about the cheaper options within that.

I hope I have provided some useful insight to help you along with your search (I hope). I have better knowledge of the Santander area than Bilbao (part of my wife’s family live in Bilbao). I’ll check up on this thread from time to time so if you have any questions I’ll try my best to help you out.

Good Luck

BB

Posted: 05 May 2008 07:13 AM   [ # 5 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2007-07-29

Dear BeaverBill:

thanks a lot for your info. I’ll check the options you suggested.

Cheers

Olga