Diabetic
Posted: 13 May 2008 02:37 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2008-05-12

Hello all,

First of all want to say hello to everyone as I am new to the forum and also that this site is an excellent source of information.

Myself and my partner are planning on moving to Spain next year (from the uk), she is diabetic (type 1, insulin dependant).

I have done a search through the forum and have found a couple of posts on the topic already, from what I can gather you need to be working and paying national insurance to be entitled to health care? and that after this insulin veals costs a couple of euros?

Obviously the intention when we move is for her to be in employment, what are the options at first of she were to be unemployed? I also gather you can voluntarily pay NI which I would be happy to do if neccesary although this seems a bit expensive. I doubt medical insurance would cover any pre existing condition. Can the neccesarys just be bought over the counter and if so does anyone know how much it costs?

Also a condition like this requires regular checkups and tests etc. Would be interested to hear how this care compares to the uk.

If anyone has any other hints or tips they would be appreciated.

Many Thanks
Brian

Posted: 14 May 2008 03:59 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2855
Joined  2007-10-19

my brother has had no problems in spain when over here on holidays have mail him for more on this but he a way on his own holidays , so whne i know more i post up here
jurdy

Posted: 13 June 2008 11:29 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  27
Joined  2007-08-07

Hi

I am Type 1 diabetic too and we are planning to move out in Sep and am worried about this and also if I will be able to get the same insulin I am on now (and have been on for 10 years).  Also worried about how the heat will affect me but it has to be better than the cold over here!

Would be interested to hear how you get on.

Posted: 24 June 2008 09:58 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2008-06-24

I am taking Metformin 500ml, does anyone know if this can be purchased over the counter in the pharmacies in Spain, and if so, how much does it cost?
Thank you.

Posted: 24 June 2008 11:02 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  738
Joined  2008-06-23

I`m no expert on diabetic`s req or treatment in Spain for an Expat.

There isn`t any unemployment payments to people in Spain unless you`ve contributed in the system and then you only get a payment based on the time you`ve been contributing, but it isn`t much.

Although your an EU resident and are free to move to Spain, it is a legal requirement to have employment within 90 days after 90 days you have to leave Spain and re enter for a further 90 days etc etc.You cannot stay longer than 90 days as a holiday maker or a job seeker.

As far as I know there isn`t a voluntry way to pay NI, you either Autonomo or Contracto.Autonomo is around 240 Euros a month.

Once your paying your entitled to the same treatment as a National, so you`ll be registered with a DR and I guess he would examine and treat your condition, you may need to get your medical notes translated.

Signature 

“I am only a child playing on the beach, while vast oceans of truth lie undiscovered before me.”

Posted: 31 August 2011 01:53 AM   [ # 5 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2007-12-15

Hi

I am type 2 living inBarcelona

Yes you need to be working ( although a Catlan told me otherwise- think noone really knows all you will be told different things)

I take metformin which costs 46 cents a box with the CATSALUT (NHS) prescription

Lantus insulin 5 pen box is about 1.50

I did ask in a parmacy when I arrived and they gave me the real prices which was obviously more

I had to buy a new meter as I lost mine when I arrived which cost me ?50

They are mean with the test strips which you get in the surgery I get 50 test strips a month and 15 needles!

Hope it helps

‹‹ Voting at th AGM      Seeking Sam in Pego! ››