I wonder if someone could help
Posted: 23 April 2008 09:52 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2008-04-23

I am hoping to move to Spain in the near future. I have an 11 year old boy and was hoping to find a hotel job where I could live in with my boy. When I was over there I was told this is possible.

Can anyone tell me if this is the norm?

I know it won’t be easy but does anyone know if this is going to be possible?

I would rather spend 6 to 12 months over there before I make my final decision and sell my house.

Thanks 😊

Posted: 24 April 2008 03:27 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  64
Joined  2007-02-13

Hi there, cant answer your question sorry, but if I were you id email all the hotels in the area that you are thinking of and see what they say, good luck, terri

Posted: 30 April 2008 06:07 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2008-04-30

No its not the norm, finding work - thats not commission based nonsense is quite difficult. If you wish to work in a hotel you will need to be bilingual. There are other jobs - bar work etc. That is unless you mean working as a cleaner - as opposed to reception / dealing with clients.

Many people take the self employed route, by offering services to ex pats or set up small shops or businesses. Childcare generally is not a problem. There are a number of small franchises available, some useless others workable, but you need to have some savings if you are to invest in this type of thing. There are also a few work from home oppotunities on the internet, though you need to be careful with these and lucky to find something decent.

It is a wise move as you said to come out for 6-12 months (rent first, as there is no shortage of these) before you take the final plunge.

Moving to a new country and setting up financially is never an easy task, but if you can get over the first hurdle and you are motivated anything is possible.

Just don?t go and work as a commission only sales person for a real estate company as it?ll be the quickest money you never earnt:)

Good luck.

Posted: 17 May 2008 05:59 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2008-04-23

Thanks 😉